fuel economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 08 stx kingcab d40 auto and I'm getting between 14-16 l-100ks it has d-gas, dp chip, 3 inch exhaust, snorkel. I've recently had it serviced and still no different what els can I do?

For some reason KCs have notoriously poor fuel economy. We had a person come along and tell us ot was a software problem and that a patch by Nissan exists but we haven't ascertained what the Nissan bulletin number for this fix is, so we can't take it any further. However, after applying the upgrade, the vehicle reportedly went from a 15-16LPHK average to 10-12LPHK average, which is fairly typical for the 2008/2009 126kW YD25 engine.

Yeah, read quite a few reports about this. You probably don't want to hear Ethan but my manual KC returns low 9's and if I really make an effort into the 8's. Does have a roo bar and driving lights to but otherwise stock standard.

Mine does have a bit of extra weight on it, bullbar, winch, driving lights, rear bar with 2x 33inch wheels, canopy, roof top
Tent, and 3 inch lift with 33s but I would of expected a few more ks out of a tank. Who do I take it to, to get the software update old tony?

the tyres and roof top tent will make a difference, as i do the same trip up and down the freeway to and from the ACT I can tell when i carry 6m long ally planks and ladders for work never mind when i run that with my big tyres.

Having said that the biggest contributor to the varying economy has to be in the driver, one person taking it easy is very different to the next.

Also if someone who has stock tyres on says they sit on 110kph on the freeway they are actually only doing 102kph, like wise with someone with 33"tyres says they sit on 110kph they are actually sitting on close enough to 116kph, so that 14od kph will make a considerable difference in it self with out the extra HP required to get the big tyres moving and a roof top tent to add to wind drag.
I actually think 14lph is good considering your set up.

Tyres will hurt you around 1 l/100km, and the roof top tent will hurt you around 2 l/100km. Take those numbers into consideration, and you would be in the approx region of 12-13 l/100km without them. a software change won't fix that.

also are you taking into consideration when calculating that with the bigger tyres (33's) your ODOMETER is out by around 12% or more i know with 32"s the distance is all screwed up by about 8% i have found for every 100km travelled according to my odometer with 32's i actually travel 108km.
I havent yet done the calculation with the 33's so 12% is just a guess, BUT it will give you incorrect figures if you are not working the difference in.

The problem is we can't even identify if the software fix is real - the dealer might have not been completely up-front with the person that reported this fix to us.

In order for clarity, we'd need to know Nissan's TSB number. It's a Nissan fix, has to be done by a dealer - but until we know the TSB we can't even say with certainty that the upgrade is real, we can only say that someone (and it's only one, so far) has reported a software update fixes the poor economy figures of a KC.

mines a manual but it went from 9's to 12's once i put all the gear on it and went 33's, It will go high 11's if i drive a little easyer. But the tyres are mostly to blame.

On my d40 with 31's I would get high 9's with 3" zorst chipit snorkel and a good few hundred kg permanently in the back. Took the chip off and I'm yet to see anything under to 12...

Back