Fuel Pump worries...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingo

Reaction score
I thought I would let you all know of a recent dilemma with my 02 d22 zd30 motor...

On only the second day out during a recent trip up the Oodnadatta and across the Simpson Desert, I filled up at BP at Yunta, SA. We were not supposed to be that far South but due to rains, we had to alter our route (originally heading to Bourke, Cameron Corner, South to Marree).

The truck did about half a tank that afternoon and the next morning when the engine light started flashing. I knew what this meant as I had swallowed some bad fuel about 12 months earlier, again from a BP servo (luckily no major damage last time). The truck put itself in limp mode from then on.

I pulled into a mechanic in a one horse town who told me I would have to drive it to Port Augusta to get any help. So I did. I shouldn't have. The manual tells you the flashing light means you should take it to a dealer (doesn't say not to drive it).

The dealer tried to resolve the issues over a couple of days by cleaning the tank, blowing the lines and replacing the filter without result. They then had to remove the pump and injectors. So I could get back on the road quickly, I hired a car and drove to Adelaide (MTQ) so they could diagnose the problem. Pump was stuffed. They had one on the shelf. Pump plus injectors, $3500.

Nissan Port Augusta put the pump and injectors back together that day. Their bill was $1400 (on top of the above bill)

Back on the road that night and had a great trouble free trip thereafter.

Lessons:

- I will never use BP ever again.
- Always pull over and drain/replace the filter when engine light starts to flash (regardless of what the booklet says) and if you think you have taken on some bad fuel, drain the tank too.
- don't use biodiesel (both mechanics this time and when it happened 12 months ago suggested that there was bio in the tank. They said to steer clear).

Tim

sorry to hear :(

if your going into far out places it would be good to have a pre filter. however you really need pusher/lift pump because of the added restriction.
its not necessarily the fuel that causes the pump failure but the clogging of the fuel filter.

Shit mate expensive trip.

Thats one of the reasons I bought the longrange tank, I get 1150km's before the fuel light comes on.

I use BP fuel about a year or so ago and I thought the turbo was gonna blow, made some weired noises.

So I only use Shell, Mobil, Caltex these days.

Hope its smooth sailing from now on.

Dave.

Thanks guys. The ute is running like a freight train now. I did have a look at the pre filters at MTQ. They insisted that it doesn't put additional load on the pump but I agree with Tweak'e that as soon as the filters clog then the pump is loaded up.

I have a feeling the first dose of shit fuel was bio (the mechanic was pretty sure). Whilst it did not blow the pump I think it maybe put a couple of nails in the coffin and this last episode finished it off. Not much you can do to filter against bio though.

Might have to investigate the long range tank. What sort of long range tank do you have Dave? I have a 61ltr water tank and second battery under the tray but there is still heaps of room.

Tim

I think its a longranger. I bought it through TJM, I went to ARB but they kept trying to sell me a second hand tank and wouldn't give me the price for a brand new one.

So TJM it was, I think it was about $1000 fitted. Its a 125L.

Dave.

Dingo, are you saying that BP sold you biodiesel? BP don't say that they use biodiesel on their web site and they were one of my choices for fuel.

I think I'll take them off my list completely.

Dingo, are you saying that BP sold you biodiesel? BP don't say that they use biodiesel on their web site and they were one of my choices for fuel.

I think I'll take them off my list completely.

yes, thats what 2 different mechanics have told me after fuel issues. The problem is that many if not all are independently owned servos. So it could be a combination of the quality of fuel being supplied combined with level of cleanliness of their tanks, (and the tanks they were transported in) and what may or may not be getting mixed with the fuel when it arrives.

If you see pieces of chips, fish or chicko roll floating in the fuel, then steer clear!

I don't really have hard proof, only anecdotal, but twice bitten...

I try to only use Shell or Caltex.

Tim

Hey Tim,

have you made contact with the servo owners for compensation? If you can prove that the fuel they sold you caused the damage you have a good claim against them & can recover all the costs.

Zoran

Hey Tim,

have you made contact with the servo owners for compensation? If you can prove that the fuel they sold you caused the damage you have a good claim against them & can recover all the costs.

Zoran

I have made a claim with my insurers and they are having a crack at the servo owner. Hopefully we can get some cash back.

digging up the thread.

how did the claim go?

my old man runs a fuel supply company here in Adelaide so i have had the chance to pick his brain on some products,
If there is water in the diesel you have pumped from a servo then its only due to water getting into the tank whilst the diesel is at the servo, the "dregs" of diesel/water in the petrol tanker trucks gets pumped back into a tank back at the main refuelers supply station called a slops tank.

tanks in the ground at servos get checked regularly and have water pumped out of them when required.

seems people avoid some companys due to them not giving them good batches of fuel,
really when it comes down to it, when the diesel arrives here on the ports its only a couple of main suppliers that supply it to everyone, so if your going to avoid a company for fuel perhaps you might wanna just avoid that particular service station rather than all of that brand of middle man.
it all comes from the same couple of suppliers on boat, only difference is the underground service station tank locations. :cheers!:

While I agree with you on there being only a few surpliers of fuel brought into the country.

I have heard of a few people having dramas with BP fuel.

After seeing a program the other day on SBS about BP cutting costs and endangering the lives of there workers and the enviroment. I wont be rushing out to help build up BP's bank account.

Back