G'day

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnads

Reaction score
Just joined the group today in the hope of getting some feedback/advice about D40 Navs. My first Nav was a basic Farm Ute aka Poverty Pack D22 cab chassis 3.2 deisel in 2001. It was second hand with 35,000k on the clock & a permanent smell of cow dung when the day was right.

I bought it intially to drive to work(15 klm outta town) & to dump my yard clippings etc. Also to go over onto a central QLD Island on fishing trips with the boyz yearly. It served me very well until I bought a 6.2 mtr boat weighing over a tonne. She towed her alright but with great effort( you could smell the hot gearbox) & slowly. Often getting a blast from other road users when I couldn't find a decent place to got out of the road.

In November 2008 I bought a new D40 STX King Cab Chassis. Boyo o boy what a difference in grunt & top speed. Tows the boat like a dream, drives like a sedan & is way more comfortable than that old bench seat.

However besides that as a 4X4 I'm not overly impressed yet. Gave it a try out whilst on fishing trip up near Shoalwater Bay & came away disappointed.
Hesitated going down some washed out tracks that I wouldn't have given a second thought about in the old D22. I find the D40 too low to the ground, this is further aggravated by impracticle rounded side steps that hang down considerably below the sil. I will definitely getting a suspension upgrade ASAP. What's the legal amount you can raise them?

I am also not impressed by the electronic 4 x 4 switch . Waiting for indicator icons to stop flashing before moving etc. Hows this going to help in soft sand & you need to change range & gears on the fly?

I hope I haven't damaged the box already?Give me back the extra gear lever I reckon.

Is this an intro or whinge?:big_smile: Ah well I paid big bucks so why not?
Also I reckon Nissan really skimp when they shouldn't. As the STX is the top of the range why don't the cab chassis have the same all the same interior fittings as the bodyside pickup or the body side dual cab? Why don't they have 4 wheel disc brakes? Why not the o/head console with map lights.

Other than that it would be perfect.:big_smile:

Excuse the long windedness

cheers

Gnads

I definately hear you about the lack of features compared to the dual cab I bought mine before they were released the dealer told me it would be the same as the dualcab inside

Thanks all .. I hope I can find out some handy tips re: the D40's & add something as time goes on ...

Despite the concerns I posted I have always favored Navaras over Hilux.
The later being way over priced for a starter. My Uncle who works for a big Mining concern say that they have given Toyota L/Cruisers the flick because they don't pass safety compliance & the new style Hilux's because they are
"Slut's of the Desert" ........ always on their backs.

No need to explain why that came about.

Cheers

Gnads

btw heard all the lines re: my nic :big_smile: so you know where it came from it's my 2 intials plus first 3 letters of surname.:tongue::beerglass:

Latest posts

Back