Gearbox, Transfer, Differential Oils/Fluids

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanchuka

Reaction score
picture.php

Hello, I've been looking around the forum but i can't be sure if i got the right information.
My questions are when change fluids (xx.xxx kms) and what fluid to use?

So far:
Description/ Change Interval (km.) / Fluid / Capacity (lt.)

Manual Gearbox / xx.xxx? km. / Nissan MTF 75w-85 / 5,1 lt.
Transfer Case / xx.xxx? km. / ???????? / 2,2 lt.
Front Diff / xx.xxx? km. / Nissan GL-5 80w-90 / 1,3 lt.
Rear Diff / xx.xxx? km. / ???????? / 1,3 lt.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Can't see the original post, don't know why?

My question was how often (in kms.) you change drivetrain fluids.

Manual Gearbox = xx.xxx kms?
Transfer Case = xx.xxx kms?
Rear Diff = xx.xxx kms?
Front Diff = xx.xxx kms?

User Manual suggested to change Rear Diff and Transfer Case every 40.000 kms.
No mention of Manual Gearbox and Front Diff.

Fluids Suggestion:
Manual Gearbox = Nissan MTF 75w85 (GL-4)
Transfer Case = Nissan MTF 75w85 (GL-4)
Rear Diff = Nissan LSD 85w140 (GL-5)
Front Diff = Nissan Super 80w90 (GL-5)

Can't see the original post, don't know why?

My question was how often (in kms.) you change drivetrain fluids.

Manual Gearbox = xx.xxx kms?
Transfer Case = xx.xxx kms?
Rear Diff = xx.xxx kms?
Front Diff = xx.xxx kms?

User Manual suggested to change Rear Diff and Transfer Case every 40.000 kms.
No mention of Manual Gearbox and Front Diff.

Fluids Suggestion:
Manual Gearbox = Nissan MTF 75w85 (GL-4)
Transfer Case = Nissan MTF 75w85 (GL-4)
Rear Diff = Nissan LSD 85w140 (GL-5)
Front Diff = Nissan Super 80w90 (GL-5)

Hi mate.
I do rear diff and gearbox every 40k because I tow and the rear diff is only small and doesn't hold much oil. I will only do the front diff when I think it has done enough work to warrant it. I use all Nulon oils and their additives to the specs you have listed. The only other fluid I keep an eye on is the clutch. Mine will go dark in color over time so I will change it. Nulon works for me. I like the anti wear feature with their products. I think every fluid in my Nav is now nulon. :) hope this helps.

I filled my gb up with only approx 4.5 l oil and it started over flowing... I'm on even ground. Anyone else have this issue.
The manual recommends 5.1L but I don't wont to drive ute if I will do damage.....??

Also my local repco supplied me with 80w-90 for both front and rear diffs. Should I change the rear one to 85-140 or will 80-90 be ok?

Answer to question one is as long as you are on level ground and it is overflowing then you should be fine.

Question two. The rear diff oil has to be LSD and unless you have fitted a locker you should run the 85-140. Something to do with friction modifiers.

so I when to change the gearbox oil,drain and fill,the manual says 5.1 litres,didn't even get that amount,weird right,now research has turn up that the filler plug is set too low,original amount was to be 3.6 litres,nissan sent a bulletin for an increase in the amount.

Attachments

• TSB97-009A.pdf
    166.6 KB · Views: 536
picture.php

Hello, I've been looking around the forum but i can't be sure if i got the right information.
My questions are when change fluids (xx.xxx kms) and what fluid to use?

So far:
Description/ Change Interval (km.) / Fluid / Capacity (lt.)

Manual Gearbox / xx.xxx? km. / Nissan MTF 75w-85 / 5,1 lt.
Transfer Case / xx.xxx? km. / ???????? / 2,2 lt.
Front Diff / xx.xxx? km. / Nissan GL-5 80w-90 / 1,3 lt.
Rear Diff / xx.xxx? km. / ???????? / 1,3 lt.

Thanks for your time.

UPDATE MAY 2014

My D22 has 75.000kms and still no fluids change, except than engine oil.

Manual Gearbox 5,1 lt.
Nissan recommendation API GL-4 75w85

Found Redline MT-85
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140

For the others fluids I live in cold/warm area so SAE viscosity may be different in your location, this is exact from manual for cold/warm area.

Transfer Case 2,2 lt.
Nissan recommendation API GL-4 75w90 or OEM Nissan ATF

No OEM here so Found Redline MT-90
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46

Front Diff 1,3 lt.
Nissan recommendation API GL-5 80w90

Found Mobilube HD Plus 80w90

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobilube_HD_Plus_80W-90.aspx

http://www.lubebase.com/cgi-bin/ctl/lube/Mobil-MOBILUBE-HD-PLUS-80W-90?id=4163

Rear Diff 1,3 lt.
Nissan recommendation API GL-5 80w90 "Limited Slip Diff" LSD

Found Mobilube HD LS 80w90

http://theoilnet.com/Atlantic-States-Lubricants/pdf/Vehicle-Lubricants/Mobilube-HD-LS-80W90.pdf

http://www.lubebase.com/cgi-bin/ctl/lube/Mobil-MOBILUBE-HD-LS-80W-90?id=4162

ANY suggestion/comments abouts those fluids?

Redline are FULL SYNTHETIC and Mobilube are MINERAL BASED, i bought them but probably won't change them until 100.000kms SO any OBSERVATION on those fluids will be appreciated in case I have to sell them cause someone experienced trouble. My doubt is that NISSAN OEM FLUIDS are SYNTHETIC, MINERAL BASED or a COMBINATION (Semi-Synthetic) cause for transmission and transfer only found FULL SYNTHETIC fluids.

Thanks

so I when to change the gearbox oil,drain and fill,the manual says 5.1 litres,didn't even get that amount,weird right,now research has turn up that the filler plug is set too low,original amount was to be 3.6 litres,nissan sent a bulletin for an increase in the amount.
Mate... this information is from 1995 and if I am nor mistaken not only have the engine/transmission/differentials/transfer case have evolved (28 years) requiring different specs; then why publish what I would say "outdated" information? Please let's keep these Forums to current vehicle specs and information.

for anyone watching, GL-5 eats the brass(?) syncro's in the gearbox which is why the gearbox needs GL-4. often gearbox oil is gl4/gl5 rated.
gl-5 is for diffs because they don't have any "yellow metal" parts.

Back