Servive items

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stelianos

Reaction score
hello everyone, last week i decided to change gearbox-transfer front and rear axle oils. i went for castrol LSD 90 in the rear, castrol multivehicle ATF for transfer case (dextron 3) 75w90 Syntrans gl4 of course for gearbox and 80w90 gl5 for front axle. all went well oil was super clear no metal piece. today i went to Nissan dealership to get fuel-oil-air filters and drive belts. when i asked them about the oils they said i should have used Nissan oils especially for the rear axle which is this.(very pricy almost 80 euro for 4 litres)
nengun-226270-00-nissan-unused_differential_oil_gl-5_80w-90-84a7121230.jpg

what are your opinions on this friends? should i bite the bullet and remove the fresh Castrols (fully synthetic) i just installed in my D22 (150 euro overall ~11 litres of oil) or get the made in Japan oil they showed me along with proper 75w85 as the manual suggests for gearbox?

Sounds like extortion to me. Keep the oil you have.

thanks for the repply mate i thought he could as well just trying to get me to buy his product because his said something really stupid like "use only this or your diff will break" while i already have replaced the factory diff oils back in 2009 and i am pretty sure it wasnt nissan oil. i think the castrol oil is good enough anyway. another thing that conserned me is the oil. when i asked him if i could use something like 5w40 (was looking castrol titanium fst) he told me a big no. same was his answer about the d40 my brother owns. dont use 5w30. oh and the OEM fuel filter was Mann and oil filter was Mahle. next i am just going to buy them directly since Nissan sells them a big more expensive

Last edited:
I would keep the lubricants/oil you put in. From memory they are all the right spec. and being full synthetic and a quality brand you should not have any issues. Here I do use a 85~140 oil for the rear axle but live in the northern tropics of Australia where the coldest minimum temp is in the low teens in winter.

The oil you use only has to meet the specification that is in the handbook to cover warranty. Not what some greedy dealer says.

All the car dealers get their oils from the major oil companies and just slap their own branding on it. I know Toyota where I live use delo400 cause I use to deliver 200 litre drums of it to them.

thanks for the repplies guys, already feel more confident and will keep the castrol for the years to come. now to decide whether to give 5w40 fully synth a try vs the semi synth i have been using for all those years. what made me think about it is when i replaced the glow plugs, cylinder N1 had a bit of carbon buildup in the glow plug hole so i want to use the fully synth at least once to clear any deposits maybe.

Latest posts

Back