Getting a weird noise, any ideas what it may be?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy

Reaction score
I'm getting a weird noise.. kind of a humming wining noise at around 2,000rpm only when under load. It sounds different to normal as I rev it out too.

I have a 2008 2.5L D22
the sound just started to happen on the way home from my last 4x4 trip. the trip included river crossings and a muddy water..

Has anyone had this or got an idea of what the hell it is??

cheers

Hard to say just yet, Troy. Is it 2,000rpm in any gear, or only in one gear? Does the noise change tone directly in response to engine speed?

Muddy/water crossings can put debris in the diffs - sometimes the breathers aren't high enough or an awkward splash can throw something at it.

It could also be a CV joint, something caught in the guard, something stuck around the drive shafts (could even be mud making the shaft off-balance).

The problem with sounds is that without asking further questions to get exactly how, when, where, and what it sounds like, it could be a huge number of things. It could be something in the brakes, fan belts, alternator, cooling fan - the list goes on.

If it's a really high pitched whine, like fingernails on a blackboard, it could be a turbocharger that's signalling its imminent self-destruction. Whip the air hose off the front and wiggle the shaft, then spin it. It should have no wiggle and should spin smoothly - it should not feel gritty at all.

Thanks old tony.
yes its in all gears, the sound isnt as bad once it has warmed up.

On the trip my radiator got blocked up with mud and the engine overheated, i hope that has nothing to do with it. (i also did my starter on that trip, it filled up with muddy water. but i have replaced that and the sound did not go)
The sound is only under load, so not if i just rev it up in neutral.

I might do that check tomorrow and see how that goes.
hope its not the turbo!

Fingers crossed it isn't the turbo - if it is, don't drive it around too much. If the turbo lets go the engine will be trying to gobble the bits and that's really expensive. An intercooler will catch these bits but it's nicer if it doesn't fail at all.

If it's the turbocharger, there's gotta be a reason for the failure. Either it's pure coincidence, the water hit the hot turbo cooling part of it (which would severely stress the internals, bearings etc) or the engine isn't shut down properly after a hard run causing the oil in the turbo bearings to form a solid varnish that destroys the bearings.

If it's either water or hot shutdowns, the damage will be obvious to a mechanic familiar with turbochargers.

Because it's in all gears, I don't think it's a problem in the drive-train - that sort of problem would appear at a certain speed, and it sounds like it's happening at any speed as long as the rpm are right.

2,000rpm creates enough exhaust pressure to move the turbocharger along at a decent gallop - it's full boosting in a D40 at 2K, I think the D22 comes on just a little later. That would mean your torque curve is starting to rise at that point, and the turbocharger is starting to spool up.

This doesn't mean it's not the radiator fan, or the alternator having caught some muck. Let's hope it's the fan! Check the fan for nicks, chips and cracks in case a stick whacked it.

Mate ive got the same problem, i think its the turbo bearings

Sent from Luke's iPhone using Forum Runner

Yeah got mine fixed under warranty, ended up being the turbo bearings as i thought, apparently the thai built d22 dont use the best quality bearings. however the only difference i can tell between mine and yours is that mine was getting worse as the engine was warming up. Its nice being able to hear the turbo whisteling again.

Sent from Luke's iPhone using Forum Runner

Latest posts

Back