Getting sluggish

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resto

Reaction score
Hi all, i have a 03 zd30, with 265k on the clock, over the last 6 months i have notice that it seems to be getting a bit sluggish especially on a recent camping trip. I service it regularly, pretty much stock engine/exhaust, only done the egr mod a few years back when i bought it. Never used to rev it above 3000rpm but now finding i have to go to about 3500 to achieve same result.
On the recent trip towing a camper, it really struggled on any sort of incline.
I know the camper was loaded and weights a fair bit but i have towed it many times before over the last few years and not have the same experience.
Any suggestions on where to start looking would be appreciated.
Cheers
Adam

There are a number of things that can affect performance like that, but the most obvious is the turbocharger. I'd check it to make sure - wiggle the shaft in the intake, it should not move. Spin it - it should turn freely (if slightly reluctantly, particularly if the oil is cold). That'd be my first port of call because it's free to test and damn expensive if the turbo lets go and the engine swallows the bits.

Otherwise it could be something blocking the fuel pickup, or it could be an accumulation of gunk (EGR + PCV = blocked intake manifold). Is it smoking more than usual, or getting hotter than usual?

Hi old Tony, not smoking or getting hot and seems to run fine otherwise, ill check the egr and other things tomorrow to see if i can find anything obvoius (to me).
Cheers Adam

Could be time for some injectors - if they're old and worn you can lose power in buckets. Then again the donk may be too loose and in need of a freshen up.

Mine does that every now and again, And only after i forget to click the fuel cap when i fill it up,
that or check the air filter, maybe followed by an ECU reset.

But check the fuel cap first, if it sucks in air when the tank is low then theres your problem :)

Do you have a boost gauge ? if so is it making the full 15 psi ?
ecu reset could help as said and a throttle reset could too, to reset the throttle just let it idle for 10 minutes once warmed up.
New fuel and air filters if they haven't been done for a while also the waste gate could be creeping open due to tired spring in the actuator, fitting a manual boost control valve would stop this by helping the actuator and a dose or three of fuel doctor may help clean up the injectors if the spray pattern is off.

Hi thanks for your imput im checking things ATM, no i dont have a boost guage. The Filters do get changed quite regularly, but yep its getting up there in the Km dept. Checking /cleaning all the simple things first. Was thinking it may be injectors or a turbo issue. The engine definately feels looser than when i bouught it a few years back, but i have looked after it.
Cheers Adam.

There's been a couple of people recently with sluggish ZD30s. I think both cases turned out to be lack of fuel due to the fuel filter sucking in air. New filter housings fixed it.

There's been a couple of people recently with sluggish ZD30s. I think both cases turned out to be lack of fuel due to the fuel filter sucking in air. New filter housings fixed it.

Especially with these sort of k's, the plunger would have copped a fair bit by now.

Check your belts too, may not be the cause of the issue but may contribute and will help things run in tune as they should.
Fourocker how do you do a ecu reset and whats the benefits?? i didn't know the throttle rests itself after 10mins of idle after warm up, may give that a go for good measure as i doubt it ever been done.

Given the kms it might be an idea to run some "cost effective maintenance" through your next oil change. Did it on my in laws 3.2 Nav not long back, should have seen the shit that came out, its now revving a bit more lively!

Hi All, certainly appreciate the imput. I believe i found the (main)issue. When i didthe EGR block of a few years ago i blocked the pipe that runs around behind the engine(this was reccomened at the time, proir to joining up here) anyway i noticed some oil under the manifold and turns out that the cast alloy tube that runs off the manifold down to the EGR thingy had one bolt missing and the other very loose on the lower flange, thus loosing pressure and spraying oil residue down the RHs of the block. So i took the pipe off cleaned up the mess, and made another blanking plate fot the top of the alloy tube off the manifold. I stuck my finger in the manifold hole and it was reasonably sludgie with oil residue. I then took the throttle body off and gave that a good cleanout and put it all back toghther. Seems to have helped. Anyway ill now order a catchcan, and look at all the other possibilities as suggested.
Cheers Adam

Check your belts too, may not be the cause of the issue but may contribute and will help things run in tune as they should.
Fourocker how do you do a ecu reset and whats the benefits?? i didn't know the throttle rests itself after 10mins of idle after warm up, may give that a go for good measure as i doubt it ever been done.

The benefits I think, to clear fault codes and un learn/start fresh on the ecu default program.
You will need the pin code if you have a factory wireless (ha ha) because all you do is disconnect the battery, turn the ignition on and hit the brake pedal (exhausts residual power) then reconnect, put in the pin code if needed and away you go.
I do mine every 3 months but never noticed a difference really, I just treat it like a maintenance task, not a miracle cure if you know what I mean.

Hi All, certainly appreciate the imput. I believe i found the (main)issue. When i didthe EGR block of a few years ago i blocked the pipe that runs around behind the engine(this was reccomened at the time, proir to joining up here) anyway i noticed some oil under the manifold and turns out that the cast alloy tube that runs off the manifold down to the EGR thingy had one bolt missing and the other very loose on the lower flange, thus loosing pressure and spraying oil residue down the RHs of the block. So i took the pipe off cleaned up the mess, and made another blanking plate fot the top of the alloy tube off the manifold. I stuck my finger in the manifold hole and it was reasonably sludgie with oil residue. I then took the throttle body off and gave that a good cleanout and put it all back toghther. Seems to have helped. Anyway ill now order a catchcan, and look at all the other possibilities as suggested.
Cheers Adam

Loosing boost is definitely un helpful, good luck with the rest of it.

Latest posts

Back