Going to the Snow 1st time

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpvguy

Reaction score
Hey all
Just going to the snow soon mt buller or some resort for a day trip could even be over night, and i was after some info besides snow chains that i need to do to get the car right just incase we get some heavy snow fall while parked,
08 Diesel d40 king cab
Thanks

Make sure your antifreeze is ok and the mixture is correct and also make sure you fill up with "ALPINE DIESEL" that way you fuel won't turn to a gel. All fuel stations in the areas close by will have it in the tanks but just ask before you fill.

Make sure you tank is almost empty before you fill up with Alpine Mix, as less than almost pure Alpine Mix can still gel up.
Or top up with so Lucas extreme cold fuel treatment, I have to do this on the fringe of winter when Alpine Mix is not available.
Parking nose into a bank if possible is good to stop the wind freezing the lines in the engine bay and fitting chains before you park if it looks like snowing a bunch overnight, is sucks to dig to fit chains when you're buried.

Thanks for your help ideas,
Just a update the GF 1st want to go to lake moutain this coming saturday so only a day drip but the updates are saying snowing on saturday so is there anything less or more that should be done while stopped/parked for the day say about 8hrs at most
cheers

In my experience in Australian conditions, muddies work pretty well. Tread depth and compound is important but the main limiting factor is the driver. A worn set of HTs and a driver that jumps hard on the brakes turns a 4wd into a 2 tonne toboggan.

The best advice is to leave plenty of room in front, slow down at crests so you are not trying to brake going down hill and use gears to slow down. Every move needs to be soft and deliberate.

In Japan we use snow tyres which are just brilliant but ruinously expensive here and get chopped out on dry roads.

If you have a 4WD you don't need to put snow chains on you just engage 4WD mode, and also make sure you leave your window wipers up and pulled away from the windscreen lol

If you have a 4WD you don't need to put snow chains on you just engage 4WD mode, and also make sure you leave your window wipers up and pulled away from the windscreen lol

The chains are not required by law in NSW, but i believe they are in VIC

chains are good if there is a lot of ice on the road. fit them to the front wheels. Also pull windscreen wipers from the windscreen.

In Vic you have to carry them and fit them on declared days . Dunno who makes the decision that they have to be fitted.

Latest posts

Back