Goverment insulation rebate. Thoughts ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking I might get alot of the insulation off ebay.

Will check local to though.

Fibreglass better or poliyester ?

Dave.

F/glass is denser and generally used in roofing and poly in internal walls.

Comercially, poly seems to be the go in roof and walling, though mainly cause its non hazardous when installing, hence its large use in construction (OHS) when compared to F/glass, which aint to good for ones lungs, though personally i believe its superior for insulation than poly.
I wouldnt install though without the use of good quality respirator with a good seal around the face.
Oh and be careful with the wiring up there.

PS: the thicker the batt, the more it insulates....ie: R2.5, R3 and so on
higher the number the thicker the batts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers I thought so, the fibreglass is itchy to.

Wiring is good, anything added in the house is installed by me and my mates checks and terminates.

Thanks again.

Dave.

Dave you can buy cheep disposable overalls to wear when playing with the fibre glass, if your doing it yourself I'd look at doing it at night when it is heeps cooler, just hook up some temporary lights in the roof, also if you get the dreaded fibre glass itch try having the coldest shower you can stand, as I have been told that the hot shower opens your skins pores up more and this can make the fibres work in further, never tried myself but makes sense

Yeah I did my own about 5 years ago, gold batts during a Queensland summer, not much fun.

Finally found an installer that wasn't a scam artist, all booked in and the frigging nut jobs in Canberra cancel the scheme. Guess I'll have to put up with the 25 year old batts that are falling apart for a while yet....

It shouldn't cost that much to do a average size place, probably about $500.

Id rather do it myself and know its done right anyway.

Cheers Kitch.

Dave.

Not sure of the cost to DIY but Dave's right, do it yourself and your know it's done right, or atleast you have no one else to blame. Insulation isn't that hard to do as long as you are adept at walking around in roof spaces and don't mind cobwebs. Steel framed houses can be a bit of a bugger when its hot and you start slipping on the rafters but none the less a few boards across the rafters and you can make yourself a path to anywhere in the house.

My place has boards in all sorts of locations so I can access pretty much all the roof without worrying about slipping off a rafter and going through the roof. Just don't forget to use the boards once they are up there and that way you wont end up with an extra roof vent in the garage like I did. Of course the extra roof vent is quite beneficial at removing the heat from the garage, especially with the fans in the roof sucking the heat out of the roof space, but even so deliberate roof vents are always better than accidental ones.

And take a broom up into the ceiling space with you, they are handy for pushing the batts out to the edges where the roof is lower.

Good thinking Jase, Id be swearing up in the roof when I had to get back down.

Dave.

If you haven't already done so install a few lights up there as well, even if they run off a power point it beats the hell out of working by torch light no matter what you do up there.

There are downlights in the house on 413's, I will plug a few temp lights in them while doing it. Will leave them there for future use.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back