Gov't/Police crappy road safety strategies

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build more public transport so Fred Normal can do us all a big favour and catch a train

Haha! That's a great idea. Be safer for the rest of us!

The problem with different licensing is that from a distance, that supercharged XR8 that Fred is driving is hardly different to the supercharged XR8 that you're driving. It's only natural that Fred is going to try and drag you from the lights (because, as Mr Normal, he's got testosterone oozing out of his brain and can't think beyond the conquest). It's also only natural that Mr Policeman is going to have to pull BOTH vehicles over to determine that Fred is going to jail and you can continue on your way.

Another issue is this: imagine for a moment you're a race driver and you're on Mount Panorama in your absolutely perfect [insert vehicle of preference here]. You top Skyline at 220km/h, brake hard into Forest Elbow and plant it for the run down Conrod Crooked, to find Fred parked half on the road because he's busting and needs to take a leak.

Basically, permitting those with greater skill to use their skills on streets with normal idiots *cough* people is going to be just as dangerous for everyone, if not worse. I can't imagine what it would be like to be an old fart that takes 15 seconds to lift his hand to the steering wheel and squint through the windscreen to suddenly see that I'm driving on the wrong side of the road and here comes Mr Skilled at his allowed 90km/h.

I'm not quite *that* old. Humour aside, it'd be a nightmare trying to mix the two drivers with different allowances on the same roads.

That'd be why the government needs the baseline to suit the masses, and why your suggestion is so bloody appealing! :big_smile:

Build more public transport so Fred Normal can do us all a big favour and catch a train

Spoken like a true city slicker :eviltongue:

Hehe sorry about that I do understand the point you're trying to make but lets face it public transport is really only for the big cities, move out to rural areas where it's just not viable to have a bus or train every 5 minutes and the onus goes back to the driver no matter whether he's Fred Normal or Fred ExtraSuperDriver.

Another issue is this: imagine for a moment you're a race driver and you're on Mount Panorama in your absolutely perfect [insert vehicle of preference here]. You top Skyline at 220km/h, brake hard into Forest Elbow and plant it for the run down Conrod Crooked, to find Fred parked half on the road because he's busting and needs to take a leak.

I saw Dick Johnson hit that roo on Conrod back in the 80's I'm sure Fred wont be much of a target cause if he's taking a leak he wont be moving.

Basically, permitting those with greater skill to use their skills on streets with normal idiots *cough* people is going to be just as dangerous for everyone, if not worse.

While not quite the same scenario as far as I'm concerned speed limiting any road user creates a similar scenario. If it's decided that all major highways are good enough to up the limit to 130ks then what happens to trucks, we either increase their speed limiters making them 130k 65 tonne missiles or we keep them speed limited at a hundred and force impatient drivers to pass them creating a 100k 65 tonne blockage in a 130k flowing pipeline.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be an old fart that takes 15 seconds to lift his hand to the steering wheel and squint through the windscreen to suddenly see that I'm driving on the wrong side of the road and here comes Mr Skilled at his allowed 90km/h.

Are you kidding I can't wait to be the old fart on the road sticking his fingers up at boy racers and telling them ever so politely to F$%k Off and learn to driver properly. I've always aspired to be an old fart who gets away with that sort of stuff, no point retiring and fading into the background.

Quote after quote after quote.
This is never going to end!

A good debate only ever ends when the bell rings, although this might not be a good debate but there still hasn't been a bell ring.

Of course a group of drivers by themselves on an internet forum are never going to change the rules and regulations but you never know there might be one morsel of information in all this that some bureaucrat might read and consider acting on.

The other thing is that while people keep making comments on the topic it keeps the topic live and search engines more interested so the chance of it being found by someone seeking information is a lot greater than letting it dye a horrible death and being forgotten. Also you never know someone might come up with something new eventually.

As an open discussion topic thats the way I see it anyway.

Latest posts

Back