GPS MAP UPDATE

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantaray

Reaction score
I have a 2013 STX550 with the OEM head unit. Does anyone know where I can get map update disc. Nissan can't or won't provide them. Thanks

I wonder why they won't provide them? They committed to that head unit, surely they knew that people would use it and that map updates would be required at some point?

I'd try a different Nissan dealer and ask them.

For what it's worth, I tossed the head unit from my car (the dealer installed a Pioneer unit that ran Windoze CE) and installed a generic Android-based unit. Suggestion: don't follow my example and use a Pumpkin device, they deliberately disable bluetooth audio so you can't stream music from your phone, but "hey, look in our shop, you can buy a "dongle" that allows you to do it". Uhh, NO.

im not sure why they wont commit to it either.biggest problem @Old.Tony is that the stereo in question is a great setup. the inbuilt screen shows everything - fuel useage, distance to empty, climate control - its touch screen and 90% of the buttons underneath correspond to something on that screen.. the maps layout and navaigation setup isnt a problem, its the maps it shows.. 2014, when i bought mine, it couldn't get me home from a major nissan dealer on the Gold Coast to my home(15 minutes south) without so many unnecessary turns that i ended turning it off..
since then so many roads have changed enough that lots of the map is just blank and nissan want a stupid amount of money to load maps that they wont guarantee are any better
Screenshot_20220211-193805_Samsung Internet.jpg

im not sure why they wont commit to it either.biggest problem @Old.Tony is that the stereo in question is a great setup. the inbuilt screen shows everything - fuel useage, distance to empty, climate control - its touch screen and 90% of the buttons underneath correspond to something on that screen.. the maps layout and navaigation setup isnt a problem, its the maps it shows.. 2014, when i bought mine, it couldn't get me home from a major nissan dealer on the Gold Coast to my home(15 minutes south) without so many unnecessary turns that i ended turning it off..
since then so many roads have changed enough that lots of the map is just blank and nissan want a stupid amount of money to load maps that they wont guarantee are any better
View attachment 36225

I wonder who produces the software? Could always talk to them ... but I wonder about how good the software is if your experience is that poor.

My wife bought me a Navman for father's day in 2008. I had a client in Canberra and although I knew the way rather well, I used the navigation tool to see how good it was.

I admit my faith in the devices plummetted when it told me to take a side-road into Sutton Forest rather than stay on the highway ...

I don't get it. Route pathing is complex but they've been doing it for years, there are stock algorithms for it now, and devices like TomTom have been (for 12 years that I know of, because we had one in 2010 and it did it) repathing while providing the navigation, and offering shorter routes if they present themselves.

I just don't understand some of their decisions, I guess. Could they be forcing you to go past a sponsor (subliminal advertising FTW) ? I don't know. I just know that I've been using OSMAnd+ for almost 10 years, and Google maps more recently, and don't have too many problems with either.

Possibly not relevant to Navaras, but I had a discovery 3 a few years back and sat nav updates weren't available any more. A smart person found out that some Subaru models used the same map format and you could simply insert their cd to get up to date maps. Worked a treat.

So if anyone has a Navara update cd of any age, they should be able to see what format the files are in, then Google can help find compatible, more recent, files from any manufacturer.

Just a thought...

Latest posts

Back