grinds going into 1st from stand still

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFS

Reaction score
hey guys I have noticed that my first gear grinds when I go into first gear when im getting ready to take off I have taken the car to two mechanics and they both think that the synchro could be playing up and that I should replace the gearbox oil as that could be he cause what are your thoughts guys?

car is a 09 D22 2.5l

I would change oil ASAP It's a cheap fix if it works. Make sure you replace it with the right oil for your particular vehicle!
fj

Hey mate,

My '05 D22 does exactly the same. I changed the gearbox oil soon after I bought it- didn't make any difference. In the year & a bit that I've owned the car it hasn't gotten any worse. I've pretty much gotten used to it. I find it does it mainly at traffic lights etc. when it's been sitting in neutral for a while. I've gotten into the habit of selecting 2nd gear first as I find if you do that it then slides smoothly into 1st. It doesn't worry me too much as I've always assumed it was just one of the quirks of these vehicles.

I'd go with the above to start with, while you're at it, how does the clutch fluid look? Might be worth changing that too and checking the amount of free play the pedal has. You can also throw some of that gearbox additive if you want which may help a bit, but its not a good sign in such a new vehicle, that's for sure.....

As old Tony says---99% of the time its the driver and sync ing clutch and gear shift--normally when in a hurry--ie traffic lights

I have a 2003 . 3L . I have changed oils / replaced master cylinder , when it was rooted ! And same for me , I usually pick second then first. But on occasion I forget and grind him . No big deal :D

Does it engage smoothly if you pump the clutch pedal twice before selecting?
As Tony said It could be the clutch. It might need adjusting. Just another thing to check before spending a heap of $$$$$

mine started slipping out of 1st gear when taking off slowly, there was no crunching when going into first gear,just slipping out of first...all other gears work fine...

then today it slipped out of first, so now when I push the clutch in it goes into first without any trouble but when I release the clutch pedal then it starts to gring so ive been taking off in 2nd gear..

any ideas what it might be...

ive had a Cpl of opinions on it from trans/repairers..

1/ its a synchro problem
2/ worn selector
3/worn dog gears

had quotes from $1600 to rebuild it plus $500-$700 for fitting & removal..

anyone had the same problem? if so, what was the cause?

thanks
joe

Same issues here.
I found that if I tried to select first quickly it would give me a dull grind.
New oil helped a lot and stopped 90% of it. I asked the mechanic to see if he found any synchro shavings in the oil, Mechanic said oil was slightly milky but nothing to worry about, no shavings.
I think you just get lazy with the clutch and get the timing wrong.

Now that I am aware of this, I just take my time and find first gear easily.
Hope this helps.

08 D22 2.5L here, same thing. Just got into the habit of going 3rd then 1st. (My old falcon did the same thing so i dont even think about it any more, just happens).

Find it also helps getting into reverse to go into 3rd first (similar gearing ratio as reverse).

well I just got it fixed.
it turns out I had stripped a dog gear, worn selector fork etc..
I got onto a guy that did a full overhaul for $2200 and $500 for dropping and refitting the box.
just a note for you all..some places claim they reco the box but that only includes new bearings and seals....they don't replace synchros or any other parts, so be carefull when you shop around...

since xmas my d22 has set me back $11k for a new reco motor and new aftermarket turbo and now another $2700 for the gear box....up until then it ran like a top....so go figure...anyway I still like it and intend keeping it for a few years yet.....stuff the Toyotas...

Shame about the cost, but you now have a near new car too, in terms of drive train.

That's an option for us - rather than forking out $60K+ for a new Navara/Renault/Mercedes, we just drop a new engine+gearbox+diffs (considering Titan there) in for less than half the price.

Back