Gutless 09 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had any problems either, towing a fully loaded 7 x 4 box trailer on beach/dunes (pulling axle through sand most of the time) & a loaded camper trailer to LCMP. Few hills on that drive.

2.5L engine is what 95kw? and the engine torque isn't that good either so it will struggle up big hills and towing will make it even worse. You get one of those small petrol cars with the 1.8 L engine and it will also struggle up hills as they lack good engine torque.

Get a good free flowing sports exhaust and this will help but i think an engine power chip will work wonders as this will give you a heap more torque and more than likely put you into the 3.0L engine spec. Small engines and heavy cars don't work when it comes to power and engine torque.

They are fine on flat surfaces but add a hill and if your towing you will have problems as the engine will struggle.

azza,
i dont tow much in my d22, but after doing the egr mod i have noticed that it pulls uphill heaps beter. hard to put a % on but worthwhile.

cheers,
jamie
________
VAPORIZER

Last edited:
same

i am with u nev i tow a boat and its loaded to the hilt with my 08 2.5 str and goes like the clappers

hi guys,

I reckon the DP Chip brings the power up to about the same as the ZD30, maybe a tad more. No way you get as much as the D40. The D40 has the VNT turbo which pulls hard from low revs and keeps a constant boost throughout the rev range. It makes a big difference not having to get the needle into the 2's to get it crackin'.

My 2.5 STR pulls my 1 tonne 5m boat at 100kph with no effort at all really. I don't recall having to change gears either for the hills.

Pretty happy with it chipped, but as standard it leaves a bit to be desired.

DJ.

hi guys,

I reckon the DP Chip brings the power up to about the same as the ZD30, maybe a tad more. No way you get as much as the D40. The D40 has the VNT turbo which pulls hard from low revs and keeps a constant boost throughout the rev range. It makes a big difference not having to get the needle into the 2's to get it crackin'.

My 2.5 STR pulls my 1 tonne 5m boat at 100kph with no effort at all really. I don't recall having to change gears either for the hills.

Pretty happy with it chipped, but as standard it leaves a bit to be desired.

DJ.

Hey DJ, good info. I have since put a 2.75 inch beaudesert exhaust on it and love the extra power. I must admit I was very disapointed with the stock power of this truck, I'm still sure there's something wrong with the injectors as it blows smoke like my brother's 15yr old hilux. I wouldn't buy another d22, I should have spent the extra coin and got a D40. I'll do a chip soon when I get around to it. Im shopping for a new dirt bike to race this year so the chip will have to wait for a bit longer.

H....... I'm still sure there's something wrong with the injectors as it blows smoke like my brother's 15yr old hilux. .......

something is certainly wrong with it. either its got crap fuel but more likly something on the motor side of things.
change fuel filter and reset ECU. it could also be EGR problem but i would be picking injector problems.

also check air filter and air inlet tracks. wouldn't be the first time i've heard of mechanics fitting the filter with the wrapper still on !

A few figures quoted from DP website for your information:

Stock D22 2.5CR engine 98kW/304Nm
D22 2.5CR engine with DP chip 125kW/392Nm

Stock D22 3.0Di engine 110kW/314Nm
D22 30.Di engine with DP chip 128kW/383Nm

Stock D40 2.5CR engine 128kW/403Nm
D40 2.5 CR engine with DP chip 145kW/442Nm

It seems that although the ZD30 engine has more power standard, it's old technology doesn't respond as well to the chip than the newer YD25. Although I will concur that under 1800rpm the 2.5 is very gutless in stock D22 form. I would say that an exhaust and the DP chip would remedy that somewhat. I've yet to drive my old man's new D40 2.5 but will be interesting to see how different they are to the D22 2.5.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back