Handbrake light and battery light appears

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40NAVY

Reaction score
having some troubles under load, when i give it some the battery and handbrake warning lights appear only sometimes, used to be all the time until i got new terminals as they were getting old,

is it something to do with the alternator overcharging or belt slipping ? any ideas on how to fix this? Its A D40 05 model Manual 2.5TD

I'd be checking the bearing for the one-way clutch pulley on the alternator (other threads on here describe how), if it was belt slip I should think you'd be getting quite a bit of squeal also.

I'm starting to get suspicious about this car. In another thread that I've only just posted in, your car's 4WD warning light comes on when water is splashed underneath the car. Now when you accelerate hard, your alternator and handbrake lights come on.

The only relationships between these things are:

* They're in the same car. Had to be said.
* Same battery providing the power. Don't bother, it won't be this.
* The wiring loom to the instrument panel (good chance it's this).

The handbrake light is more than likely managed by a signal from the BCM, the alternator by a signal from the ECU, the 4WD light by the transfer case. But they ALL send a signal to the instrument cluster via the one loom ...

So I'd look under the dash and see if that loom has been crushed by someone installing a stereo or an alarm or something. Maybe the loom has chafed against the steering column, or brake pedal or something. There's just no logical reason for these three things to come on like you've described unless there's some loom damage, and of course then anything's possible.

Has the car been off-road much? Has anyone installed anything inside?

oh ok thanks i will have a look tomorrow,
i only bought this car about 2 months ago, was fine till the sensors went then started playing up, ill let you know how i go

I had the same symptom, just a brief flash when I laid the boot in early in 2nd or 3rd. Only did it a couple of times and I don't really know what fixed it.
I had a 4wd fault where the front wheels display would flash and then the fault light would come on. I diagnosed this and replaced the 4wd detect switch. During this process I reset the transfer control module, maybe this had something to do with it?
I have fitted a new alternator and clutch pulley so I am doubtful that was the cause. A month or so later it started getting a little sluggish to start but it continued for another month or so without warning lights until I replaced battery.
I guess all I have been able to do here is confuse the issue further, but it may help?
I have installed heaps of electrical stuff but am very cautious with regards to wiring, working on petrol tankers will do that to you!
Hope my jabbering can be of some use to you.

Yeah that helps a lot, just a question how'd you go about resetting your transfer control module?

Latest posts

Back