Harsh ride

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navboi22

Reaction score
Why is it everytime i go threw a bigger pothole or even a bump or something around speeds of 50-70 it feels like a big bang in the front and the steering wheel goes crazy :D i have a 2inch lift about 15mm to droop stop, 2inch body and 285's.. thought as a 4wd wouldnt feel much of the road, I know its IFS but is there anything to do to make it a bit smooter? Still have stock shock and i have 165kms on the clock.

welcome to torsion bar front ends
try a set of h/d t/bars and maybe a idler arm brace and steering damper
the large tyres wont be helping

shocks will be most of the problem with the 2 in lift they will be hitting full extention on down travel. alos welcome to tb ifs.

bryan

Go back to stock height and tyres.

What he said, the best ride is if the lower control arms are near parallel with the ground, if they're wound up at all it takes more force before they'll move. Because the wheel end of the control arm is closer to the road than the pivot point the impact will travel up through the arm instead of it being deflected straight away.

What he said, the best ride is if the lower control arms are near parallel with the ground, if they're wound up at all it takes more force before they'll move. Because the wheel end of the control arm is closer to the road than the pivot point the impact will travel up through the arm instead of it being deflected straight away.

Probably the best technical answer you will get. Also the shocks could be the issue too, but in general that's the nature of the IFS torsion suspended vehicles.

+1 for shocks it won't have anything to do with travel as its limited by the bump stops but my shocks were stuffed by 15000kms if yours have 165000kms on them :/
I think new shocks will help your cause alot but as said above ifs is a bit like that.
when you lift the front higher it puts more tension on the suspension so when your wheel drops into a hole it travels down with more force which will result in a harder impact

cheers for the answers guys! will go for new shocks first see how it goes if it still shity will lower the bar back down a bit.

get rancho or koni adjustable and put them on the softest setting, should help a little bit.

Mine used to ride like a pig through potholes too, I put new shocks on and problem solved, Ive 265/75/16 and 2 inch lift. My old shocks were so fked that I was hitting the bump stops all the time.

Mine used to ride like a pig through potholes too, I put new shocks on and problem solved, Ive 265/75/16 and 2 inch lift. My old shocks were so fked that I was hitting the bump stops all the time. good luck.

Go back to stock height and tyres.

This is interesting.... I've got std tyres (255/70/16) on mine & mines very rough,etc when it hits potholes, etc. I'm wanting to go up to 265/75/16 as the bigger tyres will handle / soak up the bumps better than smaller tyres (tyre pressure depending)

Look at your suspension and leave your tyres as they are.....

Ordered new shocks, will get them by friday and than ill put them in and give it a go and tell you guys if i feel any change :D

Will new shocks are in got LIP 4x4 shocks, got a good price on them and my budget wasnt to big either to get something better. BUT the stock ones were shit the one on the right barley even moved. Ride is much much better now with the new shocks. :rock:

Bit of a hijack hear but im running the ironman hd set up and find it pretty harsh, would a change in shocks soften it up abit? I need the springs to stay as when the utebis set up for touring there is a fair bit of gear in the rear. But the ironman shocks that came in the kit seem to be getting abit long in the tooth and looking for something to smooth it all out a bit with. Thinking rancho 9000 in the rear and 5000 up front.

Back