Hello from Gippsland

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taz.easton

Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve just recently purchased a 2009 Navara D40 ST-X (Spain). She is the first 4WD that I’ve ever owned and actually used the 4WD in (my previous was years ago and I only purchased it for the 7 seats, not for taking out bush!). She requires a bit of TLC (mostly bodywork) but so far I love the car! Great to drive around town, on the highway and absolutely love it out bush. I’ve read through a number of posts already and it looks like this is a great community of helpful and respectful ppl, which is great to see!

Thanks mate! What model do u have? So far, apart from the bloody smoke she blows at higher revs (and possibly at too low revs also) it seems like a great car. Just need to get the bodywork sorted, a few parts for a roady, and try and figure out why she blows smoke so I can fix that, and she should b mint!

Mine's a 2009 D40 STX, the main difference being that mine's parked out the front of my place and yours isn't.

Smoke's a difficult thing, sometimes. Depends on the colour as well. Is yours a manual?

Haha. This is true!

Yeah mines definitely a manual, which was my preference as it would have seemed wrong in my weird and wonderful head, to have an auto 4WD. Lol. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against auto 4WD’s at all, I’m just a bit strange with the most stupid things sometimes, and I would have bought an auto if I had to, but it wouldn’t have felt right out bush to b using 4WD mode but not being in complete control of the gears also. I find when I drive manuals, I feel like I’m actually driving, if that makes sense.

Anyway, totally rambled on there about my weirdness, so back to the topic of the smoke it blowing. It’s blowing black smoke, but it’s not all the time. It’s when the revs r getting up, before changing gears, and if I time it right and actually change gears a bit early, but not too early that it’s then labouring after the gear change, I can really reduce the smoke it’s blowing down to almost nothing. But that takes some very precise driving on my part and it’s not what I would call changing gears at the right times. But once I’m say on the highway doing 110km and in 6th gear, if I come to a bit of a hill or put my foot down that bit more to overtake etc, I have no control over it blowing smoke, and she leaves a lovely black smoke stream behind us. Haha.

Sorry about that being so long.

I got the auto because I tow (a lot). The manual came with a dual mass flywheel which makes the engine feel smoother by reducing the irregularities of the 4-cyl engine (it's not a perfect smooth 750rpm at idle) but the face of the flywheel that the clutch makes contact with tends to heat up rapidly when feathered under load. Boat and caravan owners alike have all complained of this, replacing the entire setup with a single-mass flywheel and Exedy HD clutch.

As for the smoke, it could be several things at play here. Since it can be driven without smoke, I'm not thinking there's anything wrong with the injectors (but a bottle of good injector cleaner never hurts).

1) Dirty MAFS - quite common. It's a really delicate (and expensive) component in the air intake just outside the air filter box. Using electrical contact cleaner spray (or MAFS cleaner, it's the same stuff), spray into the small opening in the bottom while holding it over some rags to catch the residue. The stuff dries really quickly and won't affect your engine. The MAFS measures the amount and the temperature of the incoming air so that it knows how much fuel to inject.

2) Slow turbo response - unfortunately common and can be expensive. If you're lucky it's just vac hoses that are a little loose or cracked (repair cost about $20, and an hour of your time). If you're only a bit unlucky, it's the boost control solenoid (BCS) that lives on the hard pipe of the intercooler on the left hand side of the front of the engine bay (sorta close to the alternator). About $40 for a Chinese cheapy, somewhere towards $300 for a genuine Nissan one, or $175 (plus shipping) to be rid of the thing altogether and have a Tillix valve. If luck really isn't going your way, it's a problem with the turbocharger itself. I'm (technically) on my third, but I tow a 2.5T caravan everywhere, up and down hills, through the desert regions ... it works the car hard. A genuine Honeywell Garrett 2056V will set you back around the $1500 from Brisbane, and (if memory serves) it's somewhere over double that from Nissan. Instructions for checking the turbo are below.

3) Poor quality fuel - sorta common. Australia doesn't get the best fuel in the world - it's not bad, but it's not the best. I wouldn't blame biodiesel content, because I've had a tankful of 20% (or so) and I've never had a better run with the caravan on the back. Best bet is to buy from a servo with high turnover, like a truck stop. The fuel at smaller stations tends to sit in the tanks longer, raising the chance of waxing (small crystals of wax that can block up the works).

4) Stuck EGR valve - it's been reported a few times. The EGR valve is designed to cool combustion temps so that the engine produces less NOx (greenhouse gases). It's not supposed to open at full throttle. If yours is, that will explain it - there are basically 3 choices here. Do nothing and roll coal like you have been (google that for some horror), replace the EGR valve (Nissan want your first-born for this one) or just block the EGR (1mm stainless plate on the EGR valve side of the gold EGR tube will do). Blocking it will actually return some power to the engine, but it's also illegal, so don't point it out.

Inspecting the turbocharger: basically three things to do. Two of them require you to remove the air pipe from the front of the turbocharger (the one coming from the air filter). The last requires that you remove one end of the soft hose that runs forward from the baffles (top of the motor, left hand side).

With the front hose disconnected, try wiggling the shaft of the turbo (cold engine, clean hands). It shouldn't have any sideways movement. Now try spinning it - it should turn smoothly but sluggishly. If it wobbles or feels rough to turn, chances are it's toast and the next test you're about to do will fail.

With the charge air hose disconnected from the baffle, wipe a fingertip on the inside of the hose, then examine your fingertip under a bright light. If you see sparkles in it, chances are your turbocharger's impeller is grinding on the housing or its bearings are wearing badly. If you see this, the turbo may be toast - but to be sure, check the oil on the inside of the small hose that connects to the air intake just in front of the turbocharger (this is the PCV hose). If this is clean and the charge air hose isn't, the metal flakes are coming from the turbo and you're calling Brisbane.

And you thought YOUR post was long.

Fingers crossed that it's just the EGR valve and you're happy to block it.

Hearing that a woman prefer manual over auto makes me feels ashamed to driving my auto one :/
Bahahahaha. U shouldn’t feel ashamed! My current Territory is an auto, but yes I prefer manuals. But I may b female and can b ‘girly’ at times but I’m a bit of a tomboy! I grew up on motorbikes (coz my younger brother raced them), and I went from doing ballet for all my primary school years, to telling mum I wanted to quit ballet and race go-karts like my dad. Haha. Safe to say, my mum was devastated! I was stoked! Haha

I got the auto because I tow (a lot). The manual came with a dual mass flywheel which makes the engine feel smoother by reducing the irregularities of the 4-cyl engine (it's not a perfect smooth 750rpm at idle) but the face of the flywheel that the clutch makes contact with tends to heat up rapidly when feathered under load. Boat and caravan owners alike have all complained of this, replacing the entire setup with a single-mass flywheel and Exedy HD clutch.

As for the smoke, it could be several things at play here. Since it can be driven without smoke, I'm not thinking there's anything wrong with the injectors (but a bottle of good injector cleaner never hurts).

1) Dirty MAFS - quite common. It's a really delicate (and expensive) component in the air intake just outside the air filter box. Using electrical contact cleaner spray (or MAFS cleaner, it's the same stuff), spray into the small opening in the bottom while holding it over some rags to catch the residue. The stuff dries really quickly and won't affect your engine. The MAFS measures the amount and the temperature of the incoming air so that it knows how much fuel to inject.

2) Slow turbo response - unfortunately common and can be expensive. If you're lucky it's just vac hoses that are a little loose or cracked (repair cost about $20, and an hour of your time). If you're only a bit unlucky, it's the boost control solenoid (BCS) that lives on the hard pipe of the intercooler on the left hand side of the front of the engine bay (sorta close to the alternator). About $40 for a Chinese cheapy, somewhere towards $300 for a genuine Nissan one, or $175 (plus shipping) to be rid of the thing altogether and have a Tillix valve. If luck really isn't going your way, it's a problem with the turbocharger itself. I'm (technically) on my third, but I tow a 2.5T caravan everywhere, up and down hills, through the desert regions ... it works the car hard. A genuine Honeywell Garrett 2056V will set you back around the $1500 from Brisbane, and (if memory serves) it's somewhere over double that from Nissan. Instructions for checking the turbo are below.

3) Poor quality fuel - sorta common. Australia doesn't get the best fuel in the world - it's not bad, but it's not the best. I wouldn't blame biodiesel content, because I've had a tankful of 20% (or so) and I've never had a better run with the caravan on the back. Best bet is to buy from a servo with high turnover, like a truck stop. The fuel at smaller stations tends to sit in the tanks longer, raising the chance of waxing (small crystals of wax that can block up the works).

4) Stuck EGR valve - it's been reported a few times. The EGR valve is designed to cool combustion temps so that the engine produces less NOx (greenhouse gases). It's not supposed to open at full throttle. If yours is, that will explain it - there are basically 3 choices here. Do nothing and roll coal like you have been (google that for some horror), replace the EGR valve (Nissan want your first-born for this one) or just block the EGR (1mm stainless plate on the EGR valve side of the gold EGR tube will do). Blocking it will actually return some power to the engine, but it's also illegal, so don't point it out.

Inspecting the turbocharger: basically three things to do. Two of them require you to remove the air pipe from the front of the turbocharger (the one coming from the air filter). The last requires that you remove one end of the soft hose that runs forward from the baffles (top of the motor, left hand side).

With the front hose disconnected, try wiggling the shaft of the turbo (cold engine, clean hands). It shouldn't have any sideways movement. Now try spinning it - it should turn smoothly but sluggishly. If it wobbles or feels rough to turn, chances are it's toast and the next test you're about to do will fail.

With the charge air hose disconnected from the baffle, wipe a fingertip on the inside of the hose, then examine your fingertip under a bright light. If you see sparkles in it, chances are your turbocharger's impeller is grinding on the housing or its bearings are wearing badly. If you see this, the turbo may be toast - but to be sure, check the oil on the inside of the small hose that connects to the air intake just in front of the turbocharger (this is the PCV hose). If this is clean and the charge air hose isn't, the metal flakes are coming from the turbo and you're calling Brisbane.

And you thought YOUR post was long.

Fingers crossed that it's just the EGR valve and you're happy to block it.
Wow! That’s a truckload of info, and I very much appreciate u taking the time to pass it along. I will add these things to the list to check and/or fix….. this list seems to b growing on me! Doesn’t help that I had to take my daughter to her friends on the weekend, and I woke my boyfriend and asked him if he had tied the bonnet down properly on my Navara before he went to bed, to which he said he had (like I said she needs TLC - which includes a new bonnet due to it being crashed previously, so I was being dodgy driving it with the bonnet tied down! Whoops). Anyway, so me and my daughter head off to drop her at her friends, and we got probably a km from home and onto the 80km road and suddenly, the roads gone, everything’s white, and my windscreen is smashed….. turns out he hadn’t tied the bonnet down properly and I’ll b sure to make sure he is fully awake before trusting him with any questions like that again! 😂 So, the list then grew to include a new windscreen, wipers arm and water jet squirty my thing…… As u can c, I have amazing luck in life these days….. not!

My boyfriend, who owns a 99 Hilux and has done for god knows how long, was going to put an oil catch can on it to try help it a bit. Have u had any experience using one of them on the Navara? He uses one on his Hilux and thinks it’s one of those things that r a ‘y wouldn’t u have one’ type thing. But it doesn’t mean it’s gonna b as good as he thinks it is on other cars. Haha.

If the catch can solves the problem (unlikely, but possible) then you've got a more serious problem with that engine. The catch can is designed to catch the (small amount of) oil that is vapourised and passed out the PCV (where the crankcase vents the blow-by gases). This hose goes from the top of the engine at the rear and joins to the air intake just in front of the turbo. It's the very reason why you have oil lining the charge air hoses and the intercooler. If you've got so much blow-by that it's creating extra smoke, you might have worn rings.

Ok, there's a test you can do - not recommended that you leave the car in this state, but it will show you if that's the problem.

Disconnect the PCV hose from the air intake and, using a cable tie or wire or something, tie it so that it points downwards in the engine bay. Find something to block the connector on the intake - it will need to be substantial (glad wrap won't work!) because the turbocharger really can suck air quite well. A shortish length of hose that you clamp off will do the job.

Now take the car for a brief drive and look for smoke. Regardless, stop the vehicle and connect the PCV back to normal.

If the smoke's gone, you may have an issue with piston rings letting too much past (stuck rings, scarred cylinder bores). You could try something like Rislone "High Kilometre Compression Repair" which is supposed to free stuck rings (available at Supercheap).

Welcome aboard! I am a new member as well, but have found most of the users very helpful and able to provide heaps of info. I am happy to spend a bit of time just reading about things other members are doing, or issues they are having. I have a 2008 D22 ... manual. Like for you, mine had to be a manual.

Hey taz, welcome, i'm from Gippsland too.
And, we have other things in common, like blowing black smoke, mostly on lower end gear changes and any time I "floor" it when in a higher gear.
I'm still finishing off with my overheat problems first, then will come back to Tony's comprehensive testing procedure for the black smoke.
Cheers, and mines a manual too.

Latest posts

Back