Hello to everyone.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottndian

Reaction score
hi to all, unsure if we are doing this right,this is very new to us ,but are looking forward to some interesting reading.

hi to all, thanks for the welcome from everyone. still working our way around the site. think we will start in the garage area. thanks again for the welcome.

Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry, we were all first timers at some point. Let us know what kind of Navara you own, and what you like to do with it!

hi old tony, we have a 2010 navara stx. had it about 14 months now. your photo is the only one we have seen where the nav is towing a caravan. i say this because we have a van and use our nav as the tug. i have been very happy with the proformance of ours. do you carry a boat as well with the van?

How good is the middle of nowhere.

It was bloody awesome and we can't wait to go again. This time though, real leather shoes when going outside.

There were several notable things on the ground that the photo (even the original straight off the camera) didn't reveal clearly. First is the corrugations - they're horrid. Second is the soft spots which are everywhere. Third are the gentle, narrow 'S' shaped disturbances that generally go across the road.

That's 'S' for Slithering and no I don't mean the competitors of Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff.

We hit one of the blighters just coming out of Kings Canyon, just before the Kathleen Springs turnoff. About 2m long, bright green and held its head up about 300-400mm - as always, I made sure I could see it in the rear view mirror after we passed. I don't like 'em!

Can't wait myself. Six weeks and I'm off to Broken hill, Menindee lakes, Mildura, then across into SA and home via the Great Ocean Road. I love the outback tho not going to be in the outback for long. Half the fun is getting ready to I think.

Welcome mate. Kings canyon would be an awsome trip. Actually said to the finance minister the other day about going there at Xmas this year.

I might suggest that you visit everything in the area then:

Kings Canyon (and if you're fit, take the high walk) - but do it early in the morning. Start the walk at about 7am if you can. If you take the high walk (about 3 hours) it'll be stinking hot as you're trying to clamber back down. Sunset over the canyon from the resort is special and they have a viewing platform built for this, but keep kids in check - there are dingoes around. If you have a shower in your caravan, don't worry about turning on the hot water system as the water from the taps is already beautifully warm.

Kathleen Springs. We didn't stop, we should have. It's not supposed to be much more than a nice waterhole, but it's there and we should have at least seen it while we were there.

Kings Creek Station. Camel burgers (I don't like camel, the meat tastes funny to me) are a specialty. They do R44 flights over the canyon, camel rides and I think quad bikes as well.

Ernest Giles Road. Bloody hell! As soon as you get on the loose stuff put it in 4WD. There was a large tree beside the road not far from the bitumen that had really, really soft sand in it and we were towing the van!

Yulara - don't bother buying any digeridoos, they might be real but they're not made locally - there are no trees with termites nearby! The ones they have are priced for overseas tourists. Make sure you do the sunrise view of Uluru and immediately go for the walk around it (10.6km). If you leave it later in the day like we did (3pm start, 43C) you'll need a LOT of water. We took 7.2 litres and had to refill at the tank half-way around. Then do the sunset view, and next day the sunrise view of Kata Juta followed immediately by a walk through the Valley Of The Winds (same caveat here - heat of the day).

There are two major roadhouses to stop at on the Lasseter Highway. Curtin Springs sells food, souvenirs and has camping areas at it if needed. Mt Ebenezer sells genuine aboriginal artwork and we have a piece on our wall at home.

Refuel at Yulara or the Shell at Erldunda. Don't buy fuel at Mt Ebenezer or Kings Canyon Resort. Fuel from Kings Creek Station is not quite as expensive as the resort up the road, and it was good fuel in 2010 so if you need to fill up on Luritja Way, that's the place to do it.

Latest posts

Back