help...it blew up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys
just wanted to know if this happened to anyone else and what might have caused it.
I have an 04 str and coming home today there was a loud bang and then I could hear loud exhaust noises.
the exhaust is fine but then I saw the metal pipe that's located just behind the dump pipe,that goes around the back of the motor to the other side of the engine had split wide open..
and do you know and recommend anyone around Chelsea (Melbourne) that could replace it....
thanks
joe

I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like your EGR pipe cracked. If you have already blocked your egr at the top then also get a plate for the bottom and block that then throw away the broken pipe

sounds like the egr pipe mate. couple of threads on here about blocking it off. i have completely removed the pipe you are talking about. i actually mounted my egt probe where that pipe comes of the exhaust manifold.

if it is a busted egr pipe, would it be wise to have both ends blocked off ? i have recently blocked my egr off at the egr valve [ drivers side ] and after reading this post maybe the pressure build would cause the pipe to split. what do you think ?

you will need to block both ends off.

the pressure will not cause the pipe to split. highest pressure is at full noise at which time the egr is normally shut anyway. what causes them to fail is heat cycles and that they are welded stainless.
i think there is a recall for the egr in the patrols. heaps of them split.

What Tweak'e said, word for word. Blank off the exhaust side and mount the EGR pipe carefully inside the large green plastic container that's picked up by a big white truck every week.

I did have a go at undoing the bolts and they wouldn't crack...whats the danger of snapping them off if putting too much pressure on to undo them

fairly good.
they are titanium studs and they are bastards to get undone.
work a heap of lube into them

I did have a go at undoing the bolts and they wouldn't crack...whats the danger of snapping them off if putting too much pressure on to undo them

the danger is pretty high.

i broke mine a while back.

had to pull out the manifold and luckily a mate drilled out the stud for me.

all blocked off now and pipe removed..
the local workshop did it...he claims 2 1/2 hrs labour and including time to make 2 plates for $250 seemed fair enough...

Yeah I hate the exhaust side of the EGR, tried getting at the nuts with a breaker bar and just thought I'd actually end up breaking it - so I did the other side.

If my EGR tube lets go, I guess I'll bite the bullet - but I'll remove the alternator first, then gingerly remove the thing with plenty of penetrol on hand.

Latest posts

Back