Help needed on timing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspec294

Reaction score
Hi guy have just installed yd25's kit n all went good and we took our time in setting up the old chains with the silver and yellow link on the front chain and we marked everything we took off with white pen and put everything back together then hit the key and the motor just turned over as if it no fuel so primed it then once it looked like it was going to start there is a loud clunking noise so immediately stopped , to me something is out of timing does anyone have any ideas

I truly hope the clunk was the chain tensioner releasing and not a valve meeting a piston! It might just be a tensioner popping into place, but you didn't say whether or not the engine's motion terminated with that clunk or it continued to turn over after the clunk.

Page 217 of EM.PDF in the manual starts describing the installation and removal of the secondary timing chain, and page 218 shows how to align the chain manually.

I don't expect them to pop at all, but in case the engine wasn't turned over by hand to ensure everything was seated correctly before final reassembly, there's a chance the tensioner could have been sitting tight.

Did the engine turn over much after the clunk?

I remember In the bad old days when I was a toymota driver I did the timing belt on a 2.8 all timing marks in place but the mongrel thing wouldn't fire couldent work it out had the manual (workshop) and did it all by the book rang old mate from diesel shop and he gave a harty giggle and said , did you rock it back one tooth as you put the belt on, me with dumb look no why? oh mate ya gotta do that to get the timin wright! then why in the f*%# didn't the manual say that? na ya just get that by doin them all the time!!!! $50 later the boyota was runnin fine again. as fine as they can. gotta admit it wasent a bad old truck went some amazing places and did things it had no right in doing but didn't hav a nav to compare with so

Back