HELP! Steering grabbing severely too right!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KB.

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Looking for some advice, the ute is playing up a bit :-S
When the front hubs are locked in, and the ute is in high range 4x4, the right wheel has a sensation of digging in and the steering grabs to the left heaps! Happens a lot when speeding up from 20km/h to 40km/h. I have a calmini/caloffraod 3" lift kit installed and have had it for over 20000km. I also have had the caloffraod torsion bars raised 4 turns each side to increase the front end, the bolts for the torsion bars are flush up to the cross bar... So not tightened all the way up.

Never had this happen before, just this week it is playing up. Any ideas or advice would be great!
Cheers kb.

its only a guess?
if it was a cv binding up it would only be on one side
does it make a clunking/clicking noise on full lock when under load?
is there any damage to cv boots?
drop your front diff oil and check for metal shavings?

Sounds like diff to me, or one of your CVs/axles has let go up front. Try it again and DON'T lock the RIGHT-hand hub. Lock the left. Same thing, or has the problem gone?

Are you hearing any strange noises from up front?

Sounds like a CV to me. I did a CV in my suzuki just the other day and didn't even realise it until this started happening.

Cheers.

TF

Yeah pretty sure it's the left cv. When the left hub is locked in by itself there is no grip or pulling of the steering wheel. All the power and turn is coming from the right when both are in. Oh well they had a good run. 20000km with 3" lift isn't too bad for them to last.
Cheers guys thanks for the tips.

Nah left cv is fine? boots are fine. Mechanics said they were fine. The cvs are turning over when in 4h and 4L. Could it possibly be the locking Hubs?

Try jacking up the front end and see how hard the wheel is to turn with the hubs locked /unlocked and one at a time. This will give you some sort of indication where it could be coming from. Try turning the front shaft by hand to. With the hubs locked both sided and the wheels on the ground you shouldn't be able to turn the shaft if you can then something is broken or the hub is not locking in. See if that helps

Yep tried all that, everything is working 100%. Jacked up each end twice and checked the rotation of the tires when locked and unlocked. The tires and cvs spun correctly when locked in and in neutral. When in gear the hubs locked, cvs were all locked and would not move. Plus you could see the cvs and transmission trying to tick over. So everything is working as it should? but it is still playing up when in 4H and turning over power. It is still gripping towards the right a lot. Almost full lock on steering wheel. The higher the revs, the further it pulls.

Could it be that one of the HUBS are slipping out due to the load?

Have u checked the needle pin bearing in the back of the stub axle where the cv shaft goes in I just found mine had demolished itself only reason I found it was due to replacing the cv shaft

Nope I haven't checked yet. Just done the jacking and the spinning of locked vs unlocked hubs in neutral and in gear tests. Just took it up bush and both wheels feel as if they are gripping at low revs, to a certain extent. idling is fine and the steering and grip is consistent until 2000rpm - 25000rpm and onwards. Then one takes over as speed and revs increase and the steering grabs. mostly in second gear?

Latest posts

Back