Help with getting ext. HD to work with BluRay player

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIR35

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have purchased a Sony Blu Ray player. It has a USB input. We have successfully played movies from a USB stick on the Blu Ray player, but when we connect our external hard drives, the Blu Ray player says "the device in the USB drive is not supported." To save me reading through the troubleshooting or instructions, does anyone have any useful tips and information on how to make our hard drives compatible (or even if that's possible???). I did have a google search and a few forums noted that setting it up as a FAT32 may work, but I have no idea how to do that....

My HD is a Western Digital, I think it's either 1TB or 2TB, and my GF's is a Lacie 320GB.

Thanks in advance for your help all you clever tech heads.

To set it up as a FAT32 you will have to reformat it but unless it's an old drive (and 1Tb suggests it's not that old) I'd suggest it was FAT32 anyway. I have seen photography places format SD cards as FAT16 as recently as 3 months ago despite the cameras needing FAT32 so it is possible it was set up wrong but I think unlikely.

You can check it by plugging it into the PC and going into Windows Exploder (or My Comp) and right clicking on the drive. Then go to Properties. The properties will tell you whether it's formatted in FAT16 FAT32 or NTFS. It could be formatted as NTFS depending on what it was originally formatted on.

Agree with Krafty. If you want to have it as fat32 then you will need to format it again at that type. Suggest you copy all the stuff on the HDD that you want to keep on another HDD because you will lose everything.

Back