Helper coils

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mate put some helper coils on his new model hilux single cab. Helps with loads obviously but stuffed his rear wheel travel and made it suffer offroad.

Guido

I've got Ironman Load Plus Helper Springs on my rear leaves. They're okay, but not perfect.

I can see two things I'm not comfortable with.

First, the suspension won't compress fully, it may never reach the bump stop. That's travel reduced - so off-road you'd be lifting wheels a lot, off you go and buy a pair of lokkas.

Second, the narrow contact point at the top where the mount is on the chassis becomes a pivot point for any weight behind that point, bending the chassis over that point. Too much load and you'd see the same thing we see with overloaded vehicles fitted with air bags.

Yes, the answer is "don't overload" but sometimes that message just isn't even heard!

I think right concept, and if used correctly right idea, but as said loaded gotta be careful.

That comfort coil setup looks very similar to running airbags, except that it is constantly in play not only when loaded.( I realise that air bags are always inflated, however I am lead to believe that when properly pressurised they only help, they don't hold up a sagged spring) my only concern would be placing excess load on to a chassis section that was not designed for it. Ben

They came with the car when I bought it a couple of years ago. I spose they are probaby safer than airbags, because they offer the same spring rate regardless. Whereas with airbags, the more you put in the tray, the more people tend to pump them up which creates more load on that single point of contact and less of the leaf mounts.

The springs in mine are the comfort ones I'd say.

Photos attached

Attachments

• image-526978453.jpg
    image-526978453.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2299693282.jpg
    image-2299693282.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image-1062199030.jpg
    image-1062199030.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 49
Its a shame none of these cars come with suspension capable of carrying the weight the manufactures claim.

A d22's payload is really only like 800kg once you factor in driver, accessories and fuel.

stock springs could probably handle that at a pinch.

Mate a pair of 400kg constant load leaves and foam cell shocks is all that is needed. That is what im running and abuse, regularly carry 1200kg loads no worries. Iv crunched the numbers ages ago and my 2004 with steel bar, winch, steel tray, full tank ect is still rated to well over 1000kg once you factor in the front axle capacity as well, which I can do cos its a single cab and can distribute some load towards the front. The standard leaves are rubbish, they were the first thing I got rid of.

Latest posts

Back