Hi Guys - Just joined Forum

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtyke

Reaction score
hi guys I just joined the forum and would like to say hello to every one. I just bought a 2010 Navara and I am finding reversing to be quite a challenge. I am looking for a reversing aid most likely a camera. What are the recommendations, and where can I put it without boring a lot of holes in my truck.

G'day mate and welcome to the forum.What model Nav do you have.D40 or D22
I have a D22 with the dig options multi mediain it which has a reverse camera and mine was mounted on top of the bar where you put the bar in for the spare wheel.

Hi Mtyke,

sounds like i'm in a similar position to you. I am looking to mount a camera, but cant work out where yet. I'm getting the Kaymar swing away rear bar, so I would assume that I will be able to find somewhere on there to do it.

I was thinking about putting one in the left hand taillight tho - I reckon theres space, it would be protected and hopefully it would be cleanish place to mount.

What are you doing about a screen? replace the stereo? Which model did you buy?

Anyway... welcome!

Welcome mtyke

i've also mounted mine down in a low position like Scotty - but i'm wondering if i did the right thing. I can certainly see 'behind' but its bloody hard to judge distances when looking straight back.

i'm wondering if i should have mounted it up high at back of canopy and angled down instead.

so, i probably havn't answered your question at all - just given you options i guess.

model

I have a D40. I took out the original radio and put in a pioneer AVH-P3200BT

I've got a D22 mtyke, and i put a camera under the rear step on a bracket cable tied to the tow bar cross member. it gives good visibility but because you cant see the rear of the car in the image, judging distances is difficult. it's good reversing out of carparks at the supermarket; you can see if any kids are running around, but parking up close to things can be tricky.

I got mine off ebay, its waterproof and has LEDs for night ilumination. Car Reversing Rear View Backup IR Night Vision Camera (eBay item 180568430066 end time 30-Oct-10 11:27:20 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Welcome to the forum!

I've got a D40 with a reversing camera. The guys took off the inner panel of the tailgate (8 philips head screws), removed the blanking plate for the non-existent keylock and poked the camera through the hole.

I can see the towball of my load leveler when I'm hooking up the van, and can park within cm of an object now. Being a wide-angle, I can also see quite reasonably behind me and the camera works well in low light. It's very similar to the Jaycar camera here (listed as "coming soon").

Welcome to the forums

As far as the camera goes I did as Woody suggested he might like to have done. I mounted mine in the canopy window. It does get a little dirty at times but rarely stops vision completely and if I really cared enough to see the towball I could angle it enough to do that but I don't have a need for such luxuries. In fact I hate the camera so it could point to the sky an alert me of low flying birds for all it would matter.

Regardless of where you mount it, what ever you do don't buy a wireless version, they are super duper useless.

You can get some decent wireless ones but also bear in mind they run off the same frequency wireless internet (around the house wireless not satellite wireless) does so backing into your garage that is next to the room your wireless router is may not be a great idea.

I did not enjoy running the 5m cable from the rear step bar, all the way into the cabin - only to find the 5m cable stopped at the passanger foot well.

I had to go buy a 3m extension cable to complete the job.

I will be putting my tow hitch on the car 2nite, and test how good the camera is, reversing upto my camper trailer off road hitch - see how many attempts its gonna take for me to 'learn' how to reverse correctly upto the hitch.
Pity - i've actually got my wife well trained, she can get me within 1/2" of being perfect - and thats using hand gestures (usually the gestures are the polite ones)

Latest posts

Back