HID head lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macnav05

Reaction score
Hey all , I know there's been a bit about hid upgrades on here and know they are illegal ( but so is a lot of the stuff we do in reality ) so is it worth putting them in as we all know the originals are fairly useless . I have got driving lights up front but really need something better on low . okeydokey

I put the 100 plus globes in my ute, there better than standard, not a huge amount but still better, and there legal. Neighbor has eBay hid globes in his d22, seems every month or 2 he,s replacing a globe or ballast, and they give me the shits when I meet him on the roads around home

If you put lensed HID in (replace the headlight) you will get more light and be ALMOST legal and better still, you won't annoy oncoming drivers. If you don't use lenses, you'll attract attention and maybe not the kind you want.

Do you ever get annoyed by oncoming vehicles that have bright headlights shining into your eyes on low beam. If you want to join this group of inconsiderate road users, put HIDs in.
Normal H4 globes have a low beam filament across the globe. Our headlight reflectors focus the low beam downwards onto the road. There is less than 1mm tolerance in the correct placement of this filament.
HID globes have an arc, (as in welding arc), that is 3 - 4mm long. This really bright arc runs along the globe and less than 1mm is in the right place to focus correctly. Half the light is shining up instead of down. Simply put, HID on low beam is a waste of time for you, and it pisses off every other road user. The only way to correct this is to have headlights that are specifically designed for HID globes and focus correctly.

I tried HID lights when I first got my Nav. I have since upgraded to decent h4 globes, and rewired my Hi/low beam on relays similar to spotlight configuration. I was losing about 1.5 volts through the original loom.

Another issue I had was, the blue/white HID made the grey kangaroos match the green trees on the verge. Invest your money in good H4's and use your savings for some kickarse HID driving lights.

Only hid upgrade that seems any good is the stuff Micks HID upgrades sells, you pull your headlight apart and put a proper hid projector inside it, gives you the proper cut off lines on low beam so as not to blind oncoming cars

Do you ever get annoyed by oncoming vehicles that have bright headlights shining into your eyes on low beam. If you want to join this group of inconsiderate road users, put HIDs in.
Normal H4 globes have a low beam filament across the globe. Our headlight reflectors focus the low beam downwards onto the road. There is less than 1mm tolerance in the correct placement of this filament.
HID globes have an arc, (as in welding arc), that is 3 - 4mm long. This really bright arc runs along the globe and less than 1mm is in the right place to focus correctly. Half the light is shining up instead of down. Simply put, HID on low beam is a waste of time for you, and it pisses off every other road user. The only way to correct this is to have headlights that are specifically designed for HID globes and focus correctly.

I tried HID lights when I first got my Nav. I have since upgraded to decent h4 globes, and rewired my Hi/low beam on relays similar to spotlight configuration. I was losing about 1.5 volts through the original loom.

Another issue I had was, the blue/white HID made the grey kangaroos match the green trees on the verge. Invest your money in good H4's and use your savings for some kickarse HID driving lights.

I don't know what HIDS you were using but they make a massive difference IMHO . As far as pissing off other road users it's no different from most European and modern cars and 4X4's on the road today. I have HIDS on my nav and travel on roads that I encounter kangaroos and the like all the time and I would have nothing less than HIDS. I also have upgraded my spotties to hid. Mate go for it you won't regret it.

Cheers Justo

never ever ever use HID ballast kits sold around in a normal headlight design for halogen bulbs, you will be the idiot irresponsible guy who blinds oncoming drivers. the seller which just claim to be ok just to get your money!

I think the difference being misssed is lensed vs not lensed.

Lensed - the HID light isn't scattered all over the place, the light is bright, yes, but isn't glaringly bright for oncoming drivers and actually focuses better for the driver too. This is the sensible way to go and Micks HID retrofits do this. They are 99% legal - they're missing the automatic levelling and the glass spray cleaner (NSW vehicle regs require lenses, washers and levellers).

Not lensed - light scatters everywhere, not just on the road in front - so it's not as intense where it needs to be, but also blinds oncoming drivers.

That's the biggest difference that I see. Yes, even lensed they're not 100% legal, but at least you're doing yourself - and other road users - a favour by using HID responsibly.

i am talking about not lensed HIDs which is very very common around this part of the world, every child who just got his license gets a 50 dollars HID kit with ballast and blind the shit out of people, Projectors on the other hand a very nice to do if you have the guts to deconstruck your trucks headlights and then glue them back together.

ok so I guess not to hid's , what's another solution or is it better to just put higher spec globes like narva 100 + .

It depends how much you want to spend. I'm pretty sure the kits mick sells are around 300 or 400, but they are a proper projector setup. You can probably pay close to 100 bucks for a "decent" set of halogen globes and still not have a great deal better lighting than you have now. With a decent projector setup, you will have an insane amount of light on low beam, but focussed where you want it. High beam will be about the same as a decent set of hid spot lights....

HID the kelvin factor makes a big difference.
6000-8000k look cool blue light but as stated before roos and bushes all fade into one even the road is hard to seen
3700 and below is like old halogen yellowish.
4500 is what I use now and is clear not to blue more white I tried 5000k and 6000k too blue.
Good conversion kit with the inserts is the only way to go gives good crisp lines.

Now my Jeep on other hand it came with HID stock. but now 4 years on the road and sand blasted head lights I can see the light is not focused on the wall anymore. Before it hand a crisp horizontal line dark on top with white light below. now it is scattered all over the wall.

New Navara is getting head light protectors from new.
I spend most ov my time on gravel roads.

It depends how much you want to spend. I'm pretty sure the kits mick sells are around 300 or 400, but they are a proper projector setup. You can probably pay close to 100 bucks for a "decent" set of halogen globes and still not have a great deal better lighting than you have now. With a decent projector setup, you will have an insane amount of light on low beam, but focussed where you want it. High beam will be about the same as a decent set of hid spot lights....

That's probably true, I paid about $70 for new globes and while I,m sure they are better it's bloody hard to pick much difference.

Latest posts

Back