Hope this wasn't you!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

This image appeared in yesterday's paper. No idea how old the picture is as the article was about reversing cameras on caravans but I hope it wasn't someone here getting their happy snap taken.

oops.gif

Going by the add on the spare tyre the van is from Geelong but as to where it is or exactly what happened it's a bit of a mystery. The article was mainly about reversing cameras but I'd like to know how a reversing camera would have stopped that accident, looks to me like it was hit from the front.

Well that depends whether the van mods were done before or after the loud bang. Never know it might be a home mod to keep the van cooler in summer and he was jsut testing it too see how it tows. It is a D40 after all.

looking at the damage to the front of the van, maybe the vans LPG tanks were leaking at the same time the D40 was doing a regen burn and 'KABOOM' there was an earth shattering explosion.

I always knew those DPF's were bad news.

Whatever did happen it's been more than just van damage, the sports bar is twisted and so is the roof rack, and they are twisted forward so maybe an explosion did come from inside. He forgot the missus was inside cooking dinner when he left the camping ground still hooked up and it was the only thing she could do to get his attention.

Maybe they were just eating Mexican food and someone went to light a smoke.

It'll teach them to smuggle illegal aliens. You're not supposed to have people inside a moving caravan.

That was a double axle van. Unlikely a tyre would tip it over...

If only that was true. I followed my brother to Echuca from Bendigo and watched as a tyre blew on his dual axles caravan. Which then threw him across the hwy and back and ended up next to the train tracks. Lucky it was three in the morning so no other traffic. Scared the crap out of me, and i was 50m behind him.

Wrecked his two bar on a 100 series cruiser and destroyed the van which dislodged from the tow bar when it whip lashed back across the hwy and rolled in to a tree.

I always make sure my tyres are schmick on any thing I tow now

If only that was true. I followed my brother to Echuca from Bendigo and watched as a tyre blew on his dual axles caravan. Which then threw him across the hwy and back and ended up next to the train tracks. Lucky it was three in the morning so no other traffic. Scared the crap out of me, and i was 50m behind him.

Wrecked his two bar on a 100 series cruiser and destroyed the van which dislodged from the tow bar when it whip lashed back across the hwy and rolled in to a tree.

I always make sure my tyres are schmick on any thing I tow now

I did say "unlikely", but wow, it's not supposed to happen like that!

A good reason why you should check your tyres on a regular basis. (even if that is not the cause of this particular accident)

I've seen truckies hit every single tyre (of their rig and trailer) with an IRON bar every time they leave from a truck stop, or rest area when i've been driving intersate.

I've seen truckies hit every single tyre (of their rig and trailer) with an IRON bar every time they leave from a truck stop, or rest area when i've been driving intersate.

That's an essential tool for truckies, you can't always tell from looking when the inside tyre is flat but a steel bar will tell you. When you have 34 tyres to check it's easier to swing a steel bar than it is to kick each one like you would on a van or small truck.

The downside is the bar really only tells you if the tyre is flat, loosing a retread or a slow puncture may not always be picked up by suck methods., although I doubt may Nav drivers would be running re-treads so that's one problem you can eliminate

Re-treads may be the only thing Scotty should be getting for his V8 ... would be cheaper to replace than MUDDIES would be.

Krafty ... I imagine that the bar would also be a security tool for truckies ?

I've never used the bar like that, use to have a 4 D cell Mag light for that purpose, I think even the dumbest of idiots realise a guy with a steel bar in his hands is not a guy worth picking on. Then again I've had drunks in shopping center car parks who reckon they were stronger than the bullbar so honestly anything is possible out there under the right circumstances.

Back