How do i tell my D22 sounds normal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawry

Reaction score
Hey guys

Bare with me as im new to this forum. I hope ive posted int he right section.
anyway ive just purchased a d22 03 3.0TD with 115,000 on the clock.
As the title states, im curious if my diesel sounds normal, Ive compared it to my misses parents car (hyundai Ix35 TD), it just doesnt sound the same... which is probably a stupid comparision as its common rail and the zd30 being mechanical.

The car starts first time, and starts 1/2 sec afterkey turn. seems to run well..
no smoke however im yet to test the fuel economy.
car runs a 2.5inch straight through.

the noise i have noticed is... a faint rattle/tick. This noise is consistent through the rev range- eg at idle its in sync with RPM and during the rev range its there but obviously matching the RPM. I can just hear the noise in the cabin, blends in with the overall noise. Also this rattle isnt louder at any point.. just constant. Ive listened in the engine bay, cant point out where it is located..

timing chain?
tensioner?
something else?

is this the standard zd30 noise, i no thats not much of an explanation? i should really record it and post it up.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Matt

Welcome to the forum.

It could just be injector noise too. The V6 diesel STX550 has different injectors and they're much quieter than mine. With a few km on the clock it could easily be valve clearances, or timing chain, although we don't often hear of problems with those in the D22.

Its probably just the same rattle all diesels have. diesel owners forget about it as it sounds normal to them but if your fresh out of a petrol you will notice it. take a tf rodeo they sound like someone has thrown a handful of nuts and bolts inside the bore you can pick a rodeo from engine sound before you see it. ive got a new d22 and was a bit concerned about the engine ratttle as it didnt seem consistant with the rev range. went back to nissan and took there demo for a drive and it sounded heaps worse. might be cause id put 1000kms on mine might just be slightly different jap to thai who knows. best thing you can do is track down another ute the same and take it for a drive. even if you go to a car yard and test drive one :0
If it.sounds different its probly as said above needs valve adjustment.
If i had to put a bet down id say its just standard old diesel knock. let us know what you find out anyway

could be the exhaust just touching somwhere under the cab..
i had an exhaust mount break and it was vibrating against the gearbox...

thanks for the reply's
Im going to take it to a diesel mechanic for piece of mind.
in my opinion i think its just the normal diesel note.
just not used to it.
love the car though.

I don't think its the tappets, as one would stand out. But its just a very faint..chuffy/click/tap noise. are they notorious for loud injectors?
sounds like it could be that...
however one thing ive noticed is that, when i put my head forward in the cabin towards the dash it is significantly reduced???
maybe the exhaust could be resonating through the exhaust onto the chassis

Its almost like a noise that comes through the radio, where previously you couldn't work out where the hell it comes from.

Could be due for an oil change , mine gets noisey then i change oil and filters and it settles down for another 10k .

Of its noisy then it's too late. Noise = not enough lubrication. Slowly damaging

i just bought one also....starts with normal diesel rattle....then about 1 minute later another noise comes in its loudest at the front of the motor....and is a faster rattle....does everyone get that?

Had a similar noise, removed sump and found balance shaft bearing shells in the bottom of the sump, balance shaft gear stripped. Not pretty, was just a simple ticking sound.

Hey guys

Bare with me as im new to this forum. I hope ive posted int he right section.
anyway ive just purchased a d22 03 3.0TD with 115,000 on the clock.
As the title states, im curious if my diesel sounds normal, Ive compared it to my misses parents car (hyundai Ix35 TD), it just doesnt sound the same... which is probably a stupid comparision as its common rail and the zd30 being mechanical.

The car starts first time, and starts 1/2 sec afterkey turn. seems to run well..
no smoke however im yet to test the fuel economy.
car runs a 2.5inch straight through.

the noise i have noticed is... a faint rattle/tick. This noise is consistent through the rev range- eg at idle its in sync with RPM and during the rev range its there but obviously matching the RPM. I can just hear the noise in the cabin, blends in with the overall noise. Also this rattle isnt louder at any point.. just constant. Ive listened in the engine bay, cant point out where it is located..

timing chain?
tensioner?
something else?

is this the standard zd30 noise, i no thats not much of an explanation? i should really record it and post it up.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Matt

Hi I know this is a old thread but I have just bought a 2006 str with 115,000 on it and have the exact same noise no one seems to know what it is I'm worried it the timing chain although doesn't do it when it's cold and sounds the same as u discibed how did you go what did it end up being?

Latest posts

Back