how much boost you running?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasticheny

Reaction score
Hey ya'll

I got a D22 with the YD25, stock as rock bar the EGR blank, NO Limits Chip and a manual boost controller.

I cranked the PSI up to 22, which is 7 higher then standard (15). I did abit of research and found that the D22 and D40 are the same engine (except turbo and inlet) and the D40 runs 22PSI standard. So i presume im safe to leave mine running at 22PSI yea??

Question is what is safe? and what PSI do you/ other run??

I got the chip which dumps plenty of fuel into the engine so i dont think shes running heaps lean, but would the install of a Air/Fuel gauge be a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Cheers

If it was me i would put it on a dyno 22 is too high after all my mods 19psi works best any more and the power dropped the standard i/cooler wasn't able to cope keep in mind the d40 has a much larger garrett turbo electronicly controlled yours is a smaller hitachi unit you would do much better with a exhaust and dump change with less boost you will get much lower egt's more power boost will come on earlier and stronger also all the 2.5cr d22 models run very lean from new this is to lower emmissions the cloud of smoke you see on take off or under load is the ecu dumping fuel to compensate

So would 22psi be to much for the turbo or can it handle it (cause like I said I presume the rest of the engine would be right if its same at D40).. Would I need to upgrade intercooler maybe to keep it at 22? Maybe to a bigger front mount? Or leave it on top? Cheers

You could upgrade i/cooler but about $1100 i don't see the point on such a small donk i am more than happy with the way my d22 goes i have chipit chip egr block running 19psi beaudesert 2.75 exhaust and minor porting this results at 152hp at the wheels you don't need anything more than this stock was about 71hp at the wheels

Forgot to mention once you get this sort of grunt your gearbox get a anoying chatter in 3rd and 4th under full load like i said 22 is too much long term turbo won't take it

I also experimented a lot with tunes and psi. Once I had it at 20psi but egts were through the roof. The top mount couldn't keep temps down even at highway speeds. I also run mine at 17-18 on chipit tune 8. I was blowing a lot of smoke on tune 9 and wasnt happy. Now I'm happy and hopefully be getting a dyno tune in coming months.

So 22 is fairly high and wouldn't be best for our small Hitachi turbos. D40 has different top end or bottom end and also different larger turbo which is electronically controlled.

the problem is that most of these turbo's are generally on the small side and go out of efficiency when you wind the boost up a bit.
an air temp sensor on the turbo outlet would probably give you a fair idea of what the turbo is doing in terms of heat for the amount of boost.

Hey ya'll

I got a D22 with the YD25, stock as rock bar the EGR blank, NO Limits Chip and a manual boost controller.

I cranked the PSI up to 22, which is 7 higher then standard (15). I did abit of research and found that the D22 and D40 are the same engine (except turbo and inlet) and the D40 runs 22PSI standard. So i presume im safe to leave mine running at 22PSI yea??

Question is what is safe? and what PSI do you/ other run??

I got the chip which dumps plenty of fuel into the engine so i dont think shes running heaps lean, but would the install of a Air/Fuel gauge be a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Cheers

Hey mate the d40 runs 18-20psi stock or even less on some models, I have not yet to increase my boost on mine yet but I have done all the mods to support more boost and if I get 22-24 I would be happy with that but in your case your asking for trouble.. I would take it down to 20psi or lower until you can see what your temps are at the moment your taking a risk boosting it so high unless you have a lot of cash to play with lol but yeh just my opinion..

My 2010 d22 runs at about 17psi Max, my boost gauge line is teed off the wastegate actuator line. I've got a home made 2.5" exhaust from about the transfer case back (still need to finish it further forward from there) I also find I get a lot of wastegate scream, mainly 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd at around 3000rpm with medium load. I'd say that's then the wastegate is just starting to open with that amount of load. Less load and its not making full boost and more load and the wastegate is fully open so you don't hear it.

I haven't changed boost at all and don't have a chip, apart from the exhaust its stock

Im running 18 psi with a 3" exhaust and a chip it chip. Running the chip on a moderate setting that gives a good increase in power and improves fuel economy.

If you want more power you will start to decrease the reliability of the engine as they are not designed to handle these sorts of increases in power and torque

Rightio ill put it back to 20 psi then and defently get a EGT gauge to see what's going on.. What sort of temps are too high for the exhaust? or Is it alright to just leave the boost high and putt around with one eye on boost gauge and not let it go over 15psi.. Know what I mean.. Powers there when you need it.. Haha

have to agree i get a roar from the boost controller at about 3000 but the gearbox is still noisey under full boost ie 2200rpm in 3rd and 4th but i am putting our 526nm at flywheel not wheels i think i am at the stage where i would do better with something that made that sort of power from new but another 25-30k i carn't do i now pull my 1.5t van with ease last fuel economy unladen was 270 per quarter of a tank

the d40 turbo is a fair bit bigger than the stock d22 turbo so 22 psi on the d40 is alot safer and it will flow a heck of alot more air at 22psi than the d22 one.

The stock d22 turbo is honestly a TINY pos running more boost on it does jack shit. The only good things about the stock turbo is its ball bearing so not laggy and reliable.

Get a tf035 13t or td04 15t off ebay for a 4d56t engine and modify the factory cast manifold and make a custom dump pipe..... its obviously a little lagier thant he stock one but you can actually rev the motor right through to redline without it feeling chocked up.

Totally different truck to drive.

Since increasing the boost i have notices better fuel economy.. Makes power quicker so shift earlier :)

also just got my hands on a 80 series land cruiser air box.. but its got the square outlet on top. anyone got any pic or ideas how to mod it to round outlet? i tried to find a diesel lid (they have the round outlet already) but no luck called 6 or 7 wreckers in melbourne.

Since increasing the boost i have notices better fuel economy.. Makes power quicker so shift earlier :)
boost controller helps get rid of waste gate creep. so the turbo is now getting all the exhaust flow. hence boost is on earlier.

You could upgrade i/cooler but about $1100 i don't see the point on such a small donk i am more than happy with the way my d22 goes i have chipit chip egr block running 19psi beaudesert 2.75 exhaust and minor porting this results at 152hp at the wheels you don't need anything more than this stock was about 71hp at the wheels

please verify the numbers as they are way out ?

Latest posts

Back