How much oil does it take

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amber.2

Reaction score
Well I decided to change my oil and filter to day , looked up the spec in the owners manual ,stated it needed 5.6 liters with filter , I drain the old oil and ended up with nearly 7 litres in the catch pan filled up 1 1/2 5litre containers 'It had been previously serviced at a garage ,

so i refilled the oil but after checking it was down slightly ended up putting in 6litres .
Has any one else had a simular problem when changing their oil .

Did you smell the old oil? Did it have a hint of diesel smell to it?

I'd run the car for a little bit and check the dipstick again. If it's all good, check it again in a day. If it's still good, check it in a week. You're not just checking that it hasn't gone down, you're also checking that it hasn't gone up.

If the oil level rises on its own there's a chance you have diesel finding its way into the sump. It needs to be seen to.

The vehicle has only done 51,000km and the oil smells normal. ,I'll keep an eye on it. The oil nearly over flowed when I was draining it right near the top. Thanks. Old. Tony

Well I decided to change my oil and filter to day , looked up the spec in the owners manual ,stated it needed 5.6 liters with filter , I drain the old oil and ended up with nearly 7 litres in the catch pan filled up 1 1/2 5litre containers 'It had been previously serviced at a garage ,

so i refilled the oil but after checking it was down slightly ended up putting in 6litres .

i have NEVER had a garage yet get the oil level correct in the d22.
thats even with ones that swear they put in the exact amount the book/online says.
one i had to take back and get a liter taken out because it was actually running on from the oil.
not so much an issue these days due to the catch can and that i do my own changes.

i think they probably put the correct amount in, start it, run it for a bit. then stop it and check the level. of course it reads low cause the oils been thrown up to the head. so they add another liter. which promptly blows out the breather.

Another problem was removing the oil filter .the removal tool I had was too long and had no room to move it around , ended up using a 40 mil chisel just punched a slot in the top and placed a small shifter on it made it very easy to remove , what do the rest of you use ?

Is yours ZD30 engine? If so, correct volume is 6.7 litres including filter. I found it quite difficult to get the oil level right using the dipstick- the vehicle has to be completely level to get an accurate reading. Also I'm pretty sure the level should be somewhere in the middle of the cut out on the dipstick- the top of the cut out is over full. I over filled mine on the first couple of services and ended up having to drain some out. I now use a measuring beaker to refill the oil, adding 6L to start with, then checking and topping up slowly, adding 100-200ml at a time.

Another problem was removing the oil filter .the removal tool I had was too long and had no room to move it around , ended up using a 40 mil chisel just punched a slot in the top and placed a small shifter on it made it very easy to remove , what do the rest of you use ?

You must have different motor- YD25? Mine has a removable housing which takes a 1/2 inch ratchet drive. You just undo it, replace the filter cartridge inside and screw the housing back on. Sounds like your method worked well on yours though- good thinking!

Last edited:
You must have different motor- YD25? Mine has a removable housing which takes a 1/2 inch ratchet drive. You just undo it, replace the filter cartridge inside and screw the housing back on. Sounds like your method worked well on yours though- good thinking!

yes its the YD 2.5 its a small dumpy filter but there no room to swing the removal tool also it allows the excess oil to drain away before you unscrew it ,

My local dealer use to overfill mine all the time, they haven't touched it since the warranty expired. I'm not paying $120 hr so an apprentice can practice on my car. I just brought a brand new bike, yamaha did the first service but they won't be touching it again, i'll be doing it myself.

Back