How to Improve fuel economy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
I'm getting about 550k's out of about 65 litres regularly which is giving me about 11.6l/100kms.

This is about normal for me.

But what can I look at to help improve fuel economy?

I've reset the ECU twice since I've bought it (3 yrs ago) and never noticed much difference afterwards.

I know these things are filled with sensors, but which ones could I clean or look that may help improve my fuel economy?

Fuel and air filters get replaced as per the manual, tyres are pumped up and the right foot gets used sparingly.

Thanks for the help.

EGR blocking plate if you haven't done already, mine has returned a 1.2l/100k improvement since doing the mod this is over the last 3700k adjusted the figure due to the engine being so new prior to fitting so dropped of 0.3l due to a tight engine , best $13 I've ever spent on a mod

I'm getting about 550k's out of about 65 litres regularly which is giving me about 11.6l/100kms.

This is about normal for me.

But what can I look at to help improve fuel economy?

I've reset the ECU twice since I've bought it (3 yrs ago) and never noticed much difference afterwards.

I know these things are filled with sensors, but which ones could I clean or look that may help improve my fuel economy?

Fuel and air filters get replaced as per the manual, tyres are pumped up and the right foot gets used sparingly.

Thanks for the help.

Hey mate, a few more details would probably narrow things down a bit.

What year and model ? Standard tyres / mud / AT / size ? Any heavy add-ons - bull bar / winch etc ? manual / auto ? 2wd / 4wd ?

I think 11.5l/100k is still pretty reasonable for what is quite a large ute, especially if you're not doing highway driving all the time. with the standard tyres the speedo is about 10% optimistic on my car, so really my 9l/100km is actually probably more like 10L per 100 real k's

11.5L / 100 real k's is not so bad that I would think there is anything wrong with the car, when you get to 14 or 15 then you would start cleaning things like the airflow sensor.

I have a straight through exhaust and a 3 inch inlet airbox mod from the snorkel, the factory one is very restrictive and an egr block and I'm getting 11.5 with mine and that's with 285's fitted,bullbar, winch, side rail's and a 120kg tool box in the back. I'm happy with that

65lts. Mine Has an 80lt tank around town I use approx 11.5, highway can get it down to about 8.6. But for a car that sits around 2.3tons empty I'm not really going to complain.

My 2012 has gone from 10.6 average towing 900kg everyday to 12.0 which is purely the 265/70/17 Micky t"s. didn't think it would affect ecconemy that much.

Should 4x2 and 4x4 have similar ecconemy? My mates ute, same everything except his is 4x2 avgs 7.0l, record was 5.6l on the way from qld to melb,on the highway at 110 goin up to qld mine wouldn't drop below 9.8l

Last edited:
Side note on mine. Both myself and the missus are a little heavy on the peddle.... I also like to ride the turbo as long as I can

Just stuck my head in your garage Siringo. With a Steel bar, Winch 285X75 Muddies, plus plenty of goodies (weight) it may be as good as you get. As for using the cruise control as much as possible . Forget it, they are a dumb thing that just can not anticipate but you probably already know that anyway.

No real solutions. Give the MAF sensor a clean. Clean and check all the other sensor connections (plugs), check an clean the earths.

I did read somewhere, probably here that King Cabs for some reason where more thirsty than than the Thai built Dual Cabs how that happens I have no idea, you would think everything, engine tune wise would be identical.

As for the fuel consumption in my King Cab that is one thing I have been fairly happy with. A fairly consistent low 9's, better if i try. It does have a steel bar but tires are only 265X70 A/T's maybe I'm lucky although most of my driving is a reasonably steady 16K drive to work with bugger all traffic lights and 80K Zone just about all the way. On a trip at 100K plus and bit off tameish off roading, it goes up.

As for mods. Perhaps consider a big turbo back exhaust, try and increase that efficiency.

stay below 2200 rpm every gear. which gives me 8.6L/100km at town.
when i change my gear at 3000rpm. it goes to 12L/100km
I think L/100km relies on your right foot.

All stop start driving mine averages 9.7. Did a 400km trip today half highway half slight hills and 80km/h back roads and got 8.1l. Mods are egr block, snorkel, muffler removed.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I have done all I can with my vehicle to improve it's economy.

I've gone down in tyres to 235/85x16's which are as high as 265/75x16's but narrower. I've gutted the catalyst and removed the muffler (get a nice wooo when I change gears now, but you have to listen for it).

I reset the computer so it can 'relearn' but that doesn't seem to do anything with my truck.

I even read up on gas injection and had a chat to the guy that does it.

Interesting thing, I've spoken to DP Chip and Diesel Gas Australia and told them I was wanting to improve fuel economy and both said there's not much you can do. Once you keep your filters clean and drive sensibly and don't carry too much weight, you're stuck with what you have.

Interesting thing, I've spoken to DP Chip and Diesel Gas Australia and told them I was wanting to improve fuel economy and both said there's not much you can do. Once you keep your filters clean and drive sensibly and don't carry too much weight, you're stuck with what you have.

Good that they didn't BS you.

Im getting around town 11.5L / 100kms with 33's, steel bullbar, steel rear bar, full exhaust and 60kg tool box in the tray. I just keep the sensors, and air filter clean and i dont rev her over 2300/2400 revs through gears. SIMPLES!

Latest posts

Back