How to syphon petrol from tank?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeeeda

Reaction score
Stupid idiot I know but it seems to happen a lot. Black Vortex Premium nozzle next to black Vortex diesel while the wife's yakking at me through the window. I put 60 litres of petrol into an empty tank before realising. Feck! Luckily I didn't start the engine and RACQ towed me home.

Any beer drinkers here got any tips on avoiding a mouthful of ULP95. I've got a trayback and realise I need to remove the filler tubes to get to the top of the tank. Thinking of buying a clear plastic tube from a brewers and getting my gums over it. I probably could drop the tank out but what's the best way to flush it and is it really neccessary to replace the fuel filter. Many thanks.

By the way, the Caltex attendant says it happens all the time but said there was no way anything would change to prevent it. Why would they? They get the sale thats all that matters I guess. Vortex Premium nozzle just says Vortex in big letters and Premium in small letters - nothing else. Very unfair. :rant:

ps. sorry to hear about your accident.. happend to a friend of mine, he just syphoned most of it out, then topped it up with diesel as a small percentage of petrol in diesel wont effect the engine.
whats the percentage you may ask...
lol i couldnt tell you, but i put in about 10L of premium unleaded roughly every 10th tank of diesel just to flush the system.

Mate i just siphoned 55ltrs of watery diesel out of my tank the good old fashioned garden hose way. Seems rather stupid and cost cutting not to install a drain valve while manufacturing the car.

I guess you could pull the fuel line off the fuel pump and get a small pump to suck all the fuel out of the tank? Will keep an eye on this thread cause i am also interested in see how it's done.

Brett

Mate I know how u feel my old man put 60L of this stuff in my mums sigma (pajero) and the servo guy just shrugged his shoulders and gave my dad the yellow pages

Those drill pumps are fairly cheap and work but be carefull do so in a very well ventilated or area. Just use it to get the syphon going and rip the hose off. Difficult to get right on the bottom of the tank somtimes take note of how much you get out.
Good news is you didn't start it. So long as you fill to the top you should be fine. Wouldn't bother changing the filter.

Not good mate.

The longrange tanks have a drain plug in them.

All the Shell Servo's around here have the diesel pumps out in the open for the trucks to fill up.

So no chance of putting in the wrong fuel.

How did you go ?

Bought some 10mm clear tube from BCF and syphoned 61 litres out. Truck was parked on a hill pointing up so I got right to the bottom of the tank. Filled her up with 60 litres of fresh diesel and she goes like a dream. Phew! Will stick to the servos that have seperate diesel bowsers in future. Missus wont go near me tho for a few days as I'm still burping up rocket fuel. Caught a gob full when trying to get the last few litres out. Can't beat a good wretch! Ahhhhh Now where's that milk

good you caught it before you drove away

I put about 25L ULP in a tank while near Coffs and was on my way to Brisbane airport to drop off sis-in-law. Was a huge rush to get her to the plane on time. Made it though. No drain plug is a pita

last point - once you've sucked up the ULP, you could have put in another 5L of desiel just to sop out any last bits of ULP, sucked that out, then topped up with a full tank of desiel.

That said, I actually though the engine went rather well on that next tank - with what I am sure was a few dregs of ULP still in mine, it did seem to have just a little more kick.

Lj

Latest posts

Back