How's the Murray looking? Any other bush camping ideas?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh by the way, hell yeah, can't wait! Worked through the festivous as did the missus so will be good to finally get away!

That sounds awesome! On google maps I've found pettman rd east of the lake off the highway which seems to have tracks leading down towards the opposite side to the boat ramp. Is that the road I want? Looks like an awesome spot, will probably arrive pretty late which will make it more interesting to find. But yeah rounds perfect for the dogs... and us!

good and big camping area down there, has a toilet but BYO everthing else
all the tracks over that side are well signposted atm, just take it easy speedwise as there are some tricky bends and others/locals on there as well.

I'm fairly sure it's Lake Tyre Glass house Road. Pettmans beach is further east a little bit. I've always known it as Lake Tyres (or Glasshouse Rd), comes off the highway at Wairewa Rd and heads south into the trees. 3/4 of the way down there is a fork in the road which is where I believe Pettmans road starts, follow the road to the Glasshouse or turn left to Pettmans.

My advice if your headed that way is to go to the Glasshouse, especially if it's going to be late because it's a trafficed road and the likely hood of trees down etc is low. Whether you choose to leave camp there or not at a time with heaps of daylight go along Pettmans Rd which sort of runs parallel to the beach for about 10ks (might be less it's not a high speed track so it's hard to tell) and check out Pettmans.

There is a huge open area for camping and a bitch of a walk over the hill to the beach, but be aware that the rain may have made the carpark area a bit of a lake, there is a walkway to cross one section and it wont be very deep but it might hamper camping.

Be weary of all tracks heading off Pettmans rd, south ones rarely go to the beach and ones to the north are very often dead ends because no one travels them and cleans them up, some GPS units find Old Orbost Rd in amongst the trees but unless your on horseback stick to Pettmans. Also be aware that last time I was down there about 500meters before Pettmans beach there was a huge wash out in the road which left an extremely tricky climb, if it's still the same a 4wd will cope but you need to be confident, especially since there is very little traffic or trees strong enough to pull you out. Also remember that on an overcast day the forest tracks can be quite dark, the kind of dark headlights really don't help with so keep your eyes open on the tracks for holes, wildlife and other possible problems.

you could also look at camping or staying at the caravan park in goughs bay on lake eildon, not too far from you and there are plenty of fish jumping at the moment. plenty of camp sites down walshes rd which is where i camped over new years. also plenty of 4x4 tracks which give great veiws of the lake. if u want any more info just ask i have a house up there and know the area quite well

was going to go thru Murray from Tom Groggin-Thredbo NSW, but still flowing rather heavily on this side. hope thats some help

you could also look at camping or staying at the caravan park in goughs bay on lake eildon, not too far from you and there are plenty of fish jumping at the moment. plenty of camp sites down walshes rd which is where i camped over new years. also plenty of 4x4 tracks which give great veiws of the lake. if u want any more info just ask i have a house up there and know the area quite well

Yeah thanks mate, bein that its still busy and big dog is a bit of a handful I'll leave that one for now, but definitely keen to head up that way soon. Bro in laws folks have a place I think in goughs bay?

was going to go thru Murray from Tom Groggin-Thredbo NSW, but still flowing rather heavily on this side. hope thats some help

Yeah that is a help! I'll stay away from the Murray for now! How'd u go with your egr mod? Get it done?

Krafty, Krankin, 2 thumbs up, got back today, great area. You guys are lucky ic you live down that way, nice part if the world, went through bruthen? I think so didn't even have to go through lakes which I'm not a fan of.
Couldnt catch a faaaaaarkin fish though, gonna cop it at work, been talkin up the flatties!!

where would you suggest for camping,as in right on the waters edge,fishing and bike riding? at Eildon that is...(fishing from the bank,no boat)
thanks,Joe:rock:

Krafty, Krankin, 2 thumbs up, got back today, great area. You guys are lucky ic you live down that way, nice part if the world, went through bruthen? I think so didn't even have to go through lakes which I'm not a fan of.
Couldnt catch a faaaaaarkin fish though, gonna cop it at work, been talkin up the flatties!!

Yeah Bruthen is actually quicker for those who don't want to stop at Lakes and it's not a bad drive. I like this part of the world too, I'm not as far east as Lakes but when I can travel about an hour to get to the beach and only drive on bitumen for about 10 of the 70ks, it's not hard to see why the bush is a decent place to live.

By all reports you're not the only one who wasn't catching fish, it's been hard work for a lot of fisherman with the rough weather and weed, but going east of Lakes it's amazing how much less weed there is. Don't know whether you tried it on the surf but one of the best baits along there for salmon is artificial, use two hooks on a trace and use bait on one hook and a surf popper on the other, apart from halving your bait usage the salmon usually take the popper after the bait has gone from the other hook.

Yeah there was hardly any weed on the lake, took the surf rod but it didn't get a cast...for that reason, no bait, will give it a go next time. Cheers

Dare I admit to shopping at such a place but in the absence of a real tackle shop go into BCF and get a few red and a few blue surf poppers for about $4 and they will catch more fish east of Lakes than any other bait artificial or real. Although if you want shark they don't seem to work as good, our sharks (7 gills and gummy's mainly) are a bit picky down here.

Haha yeah thanks. I was thinking if I just take fourfoot64 with me, I'm sure he'll know what to do, better not take him in the nav but!

If you go as far east as Bemm river there is plenty of cows along the river and near the beach so the Nav will fit in ok.

Latest posts

Back