Huge case of transmission indigestion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete22

Reaction score
Nearing the end of my trip to Cape York and just 50km from the Daintree River heading south and my auto transmission belched the entire contents of oil onto the road. In a bit of a precarious position on the northern approach of Mt Donovan and probably the steepest part of the Cape Tribulation/Bloomfield Rd when it happened. No motion either direction and with a tonne and a half of camper on the back I had to manoeuvre to the side of the road...slight jack knife of the trailer, chocks (rocks) and use my recovery gear to tie off to a tree. Incident happened @ 12:10 pm and finally got the car back to Mossman on the back of a RACQ truck @ 8:00pm. Car is still in Mossman awaiting transit to Cairns to Nissan - but Nissan dealer (Westco Motors) can't get to it before Friday at the earliest and are actually saying it could be 2 weeks. Thank God for rellies and NRMA Premium Care. Still don't know what the problem is and will post when I do.

Attachments

• IMG_4537.jpg
    IMG_4537.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 119
That's no bloody good - be very interesting to see what this was. Could it have been the oil cooler lines or a cracked/loose sump plate? Good luck with it. I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Mate i suppose in hindsight, it could have been worse, at least you weren't too far away from town.

Mate i suppose in hindsight, it could have been worse, at least you weren't too far away from town.

So true.....but I was prepared for an overnight camp on the mountain as I didn't know what the operating times for the Daintree River ferry were....thankfully it runs through to midnight daily.

Hi Pete
Have had my share of shit luck.
Engine blow up is how I ended up with the Navara.
All loved ones OK is the main thing to remember.
I call them adventures and I've had a lot.
Best of luck. with the repairs and safe trip home.

Regards Harry

On a tangent, but need to support the comment on Norma road service cover.
Broke my Disco in the Flinders, $2500 tow to Adelaide including the camper. Towie had to come from Port Agusta to get me.
NRMA picked up the tab and the Adelaide accomodation.
Love that premium cover!

Last edited:
Well hope to have the car fixed today and able to get back on the road south by Wednesday. One of the local guys did a temp fix on the filler tube and Mr Nissan ordered in a new part.........a week to get from Melbourne to Cairns in the 21st Century....go figure. Anyway they are working on it now and should have the car back this afternoon. Unfortunately over the weekend another noise developed and a mechanic (not at Nissan) has told me that he believes the noise to be consistent with one of the universals starting to fail. Sooooooooooooooo also gave Mr Nissan the heads up on this and they are going to "look at it" - not good enough I said....just fix the bloody thing as I don't really want another trip on the back of a RACQ truck :)

Attachments

• P8280854.jpg
    P8280854.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Back