Hydrogen Injection Systems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pace

Reaction score
Here's one for the gurus and those with a bit knowledge of the humble combustion engine. Was having dinner with an elderly couple while floating across the South Pacific aboard our cruise ship for the school holidays. So back to the subject, this old bloke was a cracker to talk to and we got on really well talking about the gauge of steel in the cars from the 40's,50's to today's world, powerglide transmission, 9'' diff combination and the good days of when I used to build race cars doing V8 conversions.

He got onto the subject of carby's vs injection and of course I was the injection side of the discussion and he was through and through double pumper Holley man running dual point ignition. I mentioned the fuel economy and running costs when he piped up and brought hydrogen injection to the conversation.

A very simple method of operation where a small form of battery emits its own chemical reaction into the inlet of the air box to generate a cleaner, powerful burn, thus reducing emissions and increasing kilometres between maintenance schedule and thus a better economy.

So I have reviewed a little bit and found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-55oEPU0eM and of course there is many more out there. Its has got me thinking about this exploring the possible install from the generic and specific kits available out there.

Putting it out there for you all to review and post your thoughts, experience, knowledge in this topic in great interest to read about it form others.

Thx Pace

what your talking about is HHO.
tons of threads on it all around the world.
short version is its snake oil. it simply can't work (on any half decent engine) due to all the losses in the setup.

part of it works to a degree. the more common version is to use LPG. injecting lpg into a diesel makes more power and aids economy a bit. tho it takes a very long time to get your install cost back. most do it for the performance.
hydrogen is more risky to use.
but trying to make hydrogen onboard more than removes any benefit, especially as hydrolysis is very inefficient.
your simply burning fuel to make electricity and going through a very inefficient process to make hydrogen in an effort to save fuel. it doesn't work.

^ agree. Electrolysis is not efficient. An argument could be made for solar power to electrolysis machine and on to storage tanks. That then raises the problem of its flammability - you'd want a plumber who really knew their stuff to make sure it was 100%.

As Tweak'e says, the more common additive is LPG, sometimes called 'Diesel Gas'. This was proposed by Rudolph Diesel if I remember correctly, and today the addition of a small amount of LPG in the intake can increase power output by as much as 30%. This also has the advantage of not causing the engine to stop when out of LPG, the engine simply returns to its normal performance level. LPG can be an issue if too much is used, causing dramatic rises in combustion temperature and causing failures in piston crowns. Ceramic coating of piston crowns does help a little but the alloy head of the YD25 can't withstand the increased temperatures for long.

^^ What they both said. There is no free lunch. Sure hydrogen does augment combustion but it has to come from somewhere and that's the alternator or work it back even down to the heat coming off your brakes and that is the fuel your putting in your tank. There is no net gain. Simple as that

I know I'm a party pooper.

Latest posts

Back