ignition problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
need details.
what model, what engine etc. more details on whats happening please.

why wont my nissan navara ignition switch off
my Nissan Navara is a 2.5 sdi 2006 and was running very well .It has very little use at the moment and the battery when very flat , i fitted a new battery and all was good ,,the engine was stopped. the key was removed and the ignition did not turn off the dash lights stayed on ,i started the engine again but then it would not stop i even disconncted the battery and engine ran on, to stop it i put it gear and stalled the engine.as soon as reconnect the battery the ignition and dash lights come on the vehicle has a Clifford immobiliser fitted.thanks for your interest Graham

is your ute a D40?
does it have NATS ? (nissan security system factory built into a lot of nissan vehicles.)

i'm taking a guess thats its the immobilizer doing it. it may have a turbo timer function or its shorting power somewhere.

is your ute a D40?
does it have NATS ? (nissan security system factory built into a lot of nissan vehicles.)

i'm taking a guess thats its the immobilizer doing it. it may have a turbo timer function or its shorting power somewhere.
yes it does have NATS together with the Clifford system.

Same thoughts here as Tweak'e. Disconnect the Clifford system and see how it goes.

If the car runs on with the Clifford system disconnected, try disconnecting the PCV hose from the front of the turbocharger's intake (block the opening with something that isn't going to be sucked into the turbo). If THAT fixes it, your engine is being fed fuel through the PCV and is in danger of runaway, you could try some ring-free (Rislone, available at Supercheap Auto) or check to see what your oil level is (and if it's rising - possible diesel in the sump).

Same thoughts here as Tweak'e. Disconnect the Clifford system and see how it goes.

If the car runs on with the Clifford system disconnected, try disconnecting the PCV hose from the front of the turbocharger's intake (block the opening with something that isn't going to be sucked into the turbo). If THAT fixes it, your engine is being fed fuel through the PCV and is in danger of runaway, you could try some ring-free (Rislone, available at Supercheap Auto) or check to see what your oil level is (and if it's rising - possible diesel in the sump).
Thanks for your thoughts guys i have been trying to find the feeds for the clifford immobiliser but it is well hidden and without dissmantaling the dash i am finding it difficult, my days of getting under dash panels are long gone,just before this problem there was a clicking noise from the vehicle and the dash lights where turning off and on ,is there a relay that controls them?

just before this problem there was a clicking noise from the vehicle and the dash lights where turning off and on ,is there a relay that controls them?

This could be a tricksy problem we've seen in the past too. The instrument cluster earths through the stereo, so there's every chance that a poor earth will cause the instrument cluster to try and get an earth from somewhere else (and it could be in a dozen places). The fast fix for this (which cannot cause your car any harm at all) is to connect a black wire from the chassis of the stereo to any bolt holding the dash in place (bolt, not just a screw). This forces the system to earth through the correct path.

This could be a tricksy problem we've seen in the past too. The instrument cluster earths through the stereo, so there's every chance that a poor earth will cause the instrument cluster to try and get an earth from somewhere else (and it could be in a dozen places). The fast fix for this (which cannot cause your car any harm at all) is to connect a black wire from the chassis of the stereo to any bolt holding the dash in place (bolt, not just a screw). This forces the system to earth through the correct path.
thanks for the information i will try to add this wire tomorrow and give you an update

Latest posts

Back