Replacing Ignition on D40 Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazlow

Reaction score
I've bought a D40 Navara that I dont have the key for.

Is it easy enough to replace the whole ignition?
Will this still disable the immobiliser, etc.?

Not sure on where the receiver is for the D40 on the immobiliser and have a feeling it's part of the BCM setup.. meaning you might need to change the barrel (worst case) and get a key place to program it.

Hopefully someone else can chime in, but I'd prob ask a Nissan service centre first or a good car key locksmith place to see what their experiences have been

Last edited:
Not sure on where the receiver is for the D40 on the immobiliser and have a feeling it's part of the BCM setup.. meaning you might need to change the barrel and get a key place to program it.

Hopefully someone else can chime in, but I'd prob ask a Nissan service centre first or a good car key locksmith place to see what their experiences have been
Thanks.
I'm not so worried about having keyless entry for the doors, moreso wondering if I'll be able to at least start it by just replacing the ignition barrel and key.
Do you know if the BCM controls the immobiliser?

Thanks.
I'm not so worried about having keyless entry for the doors, moreso wondering if I'll be able to at least start it by just replacing the ignition barrel and key.
Do you know if the BCM controls the immobiliser?
Either BCM or ECU, Immobiliser would definitely be linked. Which is why generally you need the software to re-program a key to the car.

Why aren't you looking at just getting new keys made up to match your car rather than changing the barrel?

I'd honestly go to Nissan or a locksmith and just get replacement keys for the existing barrel and the new transponder coded.

Assumed that because I didn't have the original key the barrel would need replacing but will look into it, thanks

Given where the vehicle is located its looking quite expensive to get a locksmith out on time.
Do you know if I would still need to program the key to start the car, even if I replaced the whole ignition that came with a new key?

I know its easy enough to program it for the central locking, but does this also affect the immobiliser?

Given where the vehicle is located its looking quite expensive to get a locksmith out on time.
Do you know if I would still need to program the key to start the car, even if I replaced the whole ignition that came with a new key?

I know its easy enough to program it for the central locking, but does this also affect the immobiliser?

The IMMO, Key, ECU and BCM are linked. If you replace any one of them then the key has to be re-coded to link them all together again.

Replacing the ignition barrel that has a new key won't work for you. You'll be able to turn the ignition on but the IMMO light will flash on the dash. The car will crank but won't start.

I've been through this as I replaced my ECU with one from a dual cab. My single cab RX has a different ECU that lowers the power to 106KW. The dual cab is 126KW so now I have the full power available from the YD25 motor.

So you have an option of purchasing what they term a "security set" from a wrecker where they'll sell the complete package of ECU, BCM, Key and ignition barrel for about $220 in my case. That's how I did my conversion. It was easy as I just replaced the items and everything worked immediately. You'll need to make sure you get the VSK or MNT depending on what you have because they're not interchangeable. Also manual or automatic? Give the wrecker your VIN and they'll check you're ordering the correct package.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/274945831921?itmmeta=01HPJDPCREAC2FG1G219P04SKP&hash=item40040c73f1:g:u54AAOSwYGthQBpB&itmprp=enc:AQAIAAAAwN+sLrgXRX86m39/m/TBV81eQzPpFchXy3lzzxsKPwX1tHvn3AyXeCIQYx3RAIt9SJcXhM7Nbd++zTKTYiLrbxEEMMnzi9Gpdq+D4EIMPgqY74f2nrjR/DpfsbqI2qlEUHcE5MMs+QscQrH40P2HFBU+ZY8VcpzMDTqR2WO6QsQRyTa2Xtm04zGhA5St+RondS6KSGQQ55smViRwLrylZp8VvhxIAhXLB9M7ROQn9aGviZwngoBHNB1DNTvfsh687w==|tkp:Bk9SR7bM2c20Yw

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284895971941?itmmeta=01HPJDPCRFKBDMGXK2GHCN2WT1&hash=item42551f8a65:g:WFQAAOSwniBiz7Cf&itmprp=enc:AQAIAAAA4K2LZKrqORq8fVVHTMvYx2z1C4gQIAxOaejNNdJZxZlaoCHcg+TEBGrBNsv2cb+EQFfTWXxgZeCcnO5zycFK4GeETpS6P/GVOnGoIRqeR9otaGDWxBBPR+tPaDrQQdxluXoilL22JXh2fsBU7qgpOlMYe3+ALlWemqFgUjO9IrPIXOftkQFSMud5S0Y3gSE1wnXRR+1fiphsDZqLeppVQih1JuXebKyIZ4496QLmdlcqHfP7Ob+ww/uZBaYRi66wVRa/0EaA6QzPB6vxh6HuBN3CGyj0jtbz6WvGCrW5IOnr|tkp:Bk9SR7jM2c20Yw

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3346966...q3LodiO8c8iDNS6fKWSIJd+w==|tkp:Bk9SR7rM2c20Yw

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back