Injector Pump Whine.... :/ ???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawry

Reaction score
Injector Pump Whine.... :/ ??? VIDEO

Manages to pin point a noise that has popped up.
Well i believe i have. Got my misses to rev it with the serpentine belt
and without... no change.

Grabbed a piece of wood and a screw driver... it seems to becoming from the pump... a gentle whine noise but you can definitely hear it.

Do injector pump have bearing???

Its strange as the car stars first time hot or cold and within a second..
fuel economy is good. 10L/100.
no smoke...
Still have power...

The noise happens mainly on deceleration/ off throttle, more so in the lower RPM as its probably drowned out by engine/turbo noise.

It doesn't seem to occur near as much when cold.. but when at full temp including oil temp its there. also at full temp it may be me but the car decelerates a little slower back to idle when hot... normal??

Is there something im missing, is there anything else at the front of the engine, thats not run my the serpentine belt that would match this noise.

does anyone's zd30 emit a gentle whine at low revs. sounds like an electric scooter...

:rambo:

Last edited:
theres the vacuum pump just under the IP and down further is one of the balancer shafts. thats all gear driven and there is some idler gears about the centre.

can you take a recording of the sound? (ie video) trying to diagnose sounds over the net is super difficult.

thanks.

I will get a video asap, tomorrow morning. Im hoping its not the injector pump.
there just isn't any symptoms that would explain it. Must be something else.

Fingers crossed.

https://vimeo.com/45773343

Heres the video. the engine is being "reved" thats not the idle.
You can definitely hear it.

Louder around the fron and underneath the engine. Timing chain tensioners? bearing? ???

crikey you got ants in your pants or what ! try keeping the camera still for a change.

you may have to point out he sound a bit better, it all sounds normal to me, the only wine is the turbo noise.

yer i was moving fast.
the first place is the turbo very briefly.
then the the EGR tubes then injector pump then under neath the injector pump (under car)

the reving is only to 1500, the whine your hearing is NOT from the turbo. as demonstrated in the first few seconds.

could it be the timing chain tensioners

The reason im saying this, is that my previous car wore one of the tensioner down so it developed ridges alone its surface, these ridges got deeper and deeper as the high points of the chain worn through until it hit the rivits (or what ever was used to attached them) so metal on metal.

The noise eventually stopped, because the high points of the metal rivots were gone. moral of the story it needed a new top guide ( the one with the hydrolic tensioner pressed)

the noise the that strange whine on deceleration it is RPM dependent, not boost dependent.

Someone has to have an answer.

all i hear is turbo whine. really noticeable about half way through where its rev'ed up a bit harder and you hear the turbo wine the instant its off the throttle.

otherwise do a better vid and keep the camera still. can't hear jack with the sound changing due to the movement. you need to remember you know what your listening for, we don't.

yer i no it was rushed. I was aiming for just an auditory video not so much a visual. the turbo does have excessive play and i want to replace it. However it just doent seem like it is coming from there?? :(

I was all over the place as i tried to cover all areas quickly as the video tok 2 half hours to upload. would be a pric to have a longer one.

Where would you like me to hold the camera? anywhere in particular?

Why would the turbo make such a noise on only low rpm without i not they spin at like 80 thousand rpm +.

In all honesty i wanted yu to be right, then i no atleast what the problem is. :)

cheers

also would you if its not to much of a drama, post a video of that yours sounds like through the revs??
Would greatly appreciate it

Last edited:
not sure how well my camera does video. audio might suck on it. plus the ute is away at the moment so it will be a few weeks before i could even try it.

camera placement, just in front is fine. just keep it out of the airflow so you don't air rushing noises.

https://vimeo.com/45818168

Second video.

What your listening for is, the strange whine on deceleration.
It could be the turbo but doesn't sound like its from that region.

Im not talking about a turbo whistle is a whining noise.
what i have in mind:
Timing chain tensioner/guides.
some bearing in the balancer or timing region
Turbo journal bearings
starter motor

Cant think of anything else that is logical that isnt driven of the serpentine belt

maybe someone else can comment but to me the only wine type noise is turbo noise.
notice when its reved up and throttle off, there is a slight delay in the noise.

Yer its so hard to work out in person let alone over a video on the net. So thank you.
The noise is almost well 95% in sync with revs. However when you take the car is the higher revs, the turbo spools up and you hear the whistle. just like it should sound.
just in the really low RPM is make this noise well it can be distinguished at that rpm atleast.
The comp wheel can hit the side wall in the turbo manifold. There is play and its something i want to replace. NOW if journals bearing are worn could they make this noise on low RPM due to the lower oil pressure seen down low? And when the revs increase and the pressure increases the comp wheel and shaft stiffens?

Would the timing chain, injector pump, balancer shaft, etc etc or anything in that region make a noise like this?

Im trying to find information on idler gears but not a lot of luck? how do they work, do they run on a bearing?

The car only has bloody 115k on it, been well looked after, i dont see how all this mechanical region could be worn already?????

Just Replaced turbo. Still there.
Im leaning towards timing chain and tensioners.
It seems to have a gentle whooping/ chuffing noise on dead cold start ups.

i'll just get one of those kits on ebay??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-P...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2427167e

Any things to watch out with such a job, any secrets to maintain proper timing?
eg- go to top dead centre and line up coloured chain links???

Mine is all of a sudden making the same noise. Did you find out whatit was?

Sounds just like my ZD30 but I just thought the whine was the turbo spooling up or down. I don't hear anything different to mine. If you find a problem please post it up so I can check mine too!

Hey guys
Yer mine is intermittent, no idea but I've done 15k since then without
A single hiccup. So I'm putting it down to either something normal or insignificant. Or I might bite my tounge later on Down the track. I just removed a muffler and forgot about it.

Did u find out what it was mate
Mine is doing the same thing a whining noise
I think it might be my turbo as the impeller is wobbly

Latest posts

Back