Insurance issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmanjim

Reaction score
Hi im new here

I went down to local Kmart Tyre and Auto today to get prices on some 265/75 tyres, however the lady at reception was furiously trying to talk me out of it. Her reasoning was that if I had an accident, and the car was sent to vehicle assessment, insurance would deny my claim because 265/75 isn't whats written on my tyre placard, even though it's entirely legal by law to go up to this size on this vehicle (D22).

I am comprehensively insured with RACQ, and have just fully read the PDS and could not find anything regarding tyres, not even being involved in an accident with bald tyres. So it would be great if some could shed some light on this?

I didn't quite agree with all her beliefs, as she tried talking me out of All Terrain tyres and into highway tyres (even after I kept reminding her I do beach work), because the "all terrains would get ripped apart on the road".

The problem is quite simple - they don't want your business.

The solution - go somewhere that does.

Welcome to the Navara Forum madman j dog.
There's a lot of info on here already about this. I'm pretty sure you'll find if you research that 265/75 are not actually legal, but I can't remember the overall diameter figures or have any proof I can recall without digging further into the forum.
I think the general consensus is along the lines of that it would have to proved that the increase in tyre size directly caused your car to have an accident.
In saying that I wouldn't have a clue what an insurance assessor would say?
Do a search for 265/75 legal or similar... or simply wait for one of the other monkeys on here to provide further insight.
Good luck!

Welcome to the Navara Forum madman j dog.
There's a lot of info on here already about this. I'm pretty sure you'll find if you research that 265/75 are not actually legal, but I can't remember the overall diameter figures or have any proof I can recall without digging further into the forum.
I think the general consensus is along the lines of that it would have to proved that the increase in tyre size directly caused your car to have an accident.
In saying that I wouldn't have a clue what an insurance assessor would say?
Do a search for 265/75 legal or similar... or simply wait for one of the other monkeys on here to provide further insight.
Good luck!

Thanks mate, just had a quick browse through some of the other topics, so far it seems that you are allowed a 50mm tyre (rolling diametre) increase, and a 50mm lift. Anything over that would require an engineers cert..

If my calculator is correct 265/70/16 (Stock) to a 265/75/16 is only a 26.5mm diametre increase.

Would still like input on this however.

The 50mm rule depends on where you are. In QLD its only 20mm or something stupid like that. Went through all this recently when I changed my tyres over. Decided to stick with the 265/70.

I think if i remember only allowed 13mm increase and 26 decrease, which makes the 265/75's illegal.

i had the same issue yesterday at tyrepower
he said it will make car illegal if i went to 265/75
still waiting for an email from allianz to clarify
will let you know there response

as said above it alo changes state to state. i wanted to go from 265/75 back to 265/70's anyway so didnt affect me too much

I think if i remember only allowed 13mm increase and 26 decrease, which makes the 265/75's illegal.

Where are you reading this from? I have just read the NCOP (National Guidelines) which states
The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:

1) 4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not included in this category;

2) 4WD goods vehicles and their 2WD equivalents if the chassis and running gear are essentially the same as the 4WD version (N ADR category); or

3) any medium weight goods vehicle (NA2, NB ADR category).

Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.

The NCOP states for a standard passenger vehicle you are allowed 15mm larger and 26mm smaller.

I am from QLD, and I have tried looking through the QLD Light Vehicle Modifications, but I cannot find anything regarding vehicle lifts or tyre sizes, maybe someone else can shed some light?

Light vehicle modifications (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

Also realised NCOP states that after ALL modifications (lifts, tyre changes, etc), the vehicle cannot exceed a 50mm height increase. So this would allow a 50mm diametre tyre increase (remember 25mm radius), and a 25mm suspension/body lift = Total 50mm lift from ground.

The NCOP is currently NOT in force in QLD. It is currently being reviewed.

So Currently the "Transport Operations Road use Management Act" and The "Vehicle Standards and Safety Regulation 2010" are in force.

Under that reg, up to 15mm increase and 26mm decrease is allowed.

On 4wd's generally any sidewall % increase will exceed 15mm diameter increase. Hopefully the NCOP is not far away

Regards
Greg

If their brand of AT tyres "shreds itself on bitumen" they're probably selling you inferior crap. My BF Goodrich ATs have been on now for over 30,000km and they're still looking good.

My mistake was increasing the tyre size - I went from 255/70R16 to 265/70R16, a total increase of just 2%, but it's increased my fuel consumption by at least 1LPHK.

C'mon mate that's a bit harsh don't ya think? Kmart tyre and auto has been around for yonks, and one would normally think someone working in that area should have a decent knowledge. The woman obviously had some knowledge to be able to look up and say the tyres would be illegal, even if the AT Vs. HT was bullshit.

The Mistake he made was asking tyer advice from a woman in KMART.... Ha Ha.. Next time try Woolies...

Agreed. If you want accurate information, then you need to talk to the right people. This applies to asking on the forums... go direct to the source/appropriately qualified people or you will eventually end up getting burnt.

The NCOP is currently NOT in force in QLD. It is currently being reviewed.

So Currently the "Transport Operations Road use Management Act" and The "Vehicle Standards and Safety Regulation 2010" are in force.

Under that reg, up to 15mm increase and 26mm decrease is allowed.

On 4wd's generally any sidewall % increase will exceed 15mm diameter increase. Hopefully the NCOP is not far away

Regards
Greg

As above, That is currently a PROPOSAL only and is not recognised by QLD transport.

Page 11 of this link - http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c...8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

Thanks guys, was not aware of that.. So like the NCOP, where it states after all modifications vehicle cannot exceed total 50mm height increase, is there anything similar like that in the QLD Modification laws? I had a browse through but couldn't find it.

Cleasc said:
Agreed. If you want accurate information, then you need to talk to the right people. This applies to asking on the forums... go direct to the source/appropriately qualified people or you will eventually end up getting burnt.

Settle down champ, I asked the lady for prices of AT tyres, and she gave me her advice. I didn't go in there asking for advice, because I already knew what I want.

Latest posts

Back