Intake Air temp gauge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAPTOR88

Reaction score
Hey all Ive done some searches on this but havent found what im looking for so is someone could help or point me in the right direction that would be great.

After I bought the car i noticed the plug to the air temp sensor (the on between the air cleaner and air box) had a resistor taped into it :confused2:

I know the sensor acts like a resistor and different temps will change the resistance value but why would there be a resistor in there????? If i take it out and plug it in will it do anything, does that temperature do anything for the engine?

Thanks guys

Sounds like someone has been into a bit of skulduggery. Yes it will make a change, you don't say what type of engine it is, so hard to say. Usualy air temp sensor will have a minor effect on AFR. Things like air flow, throttle postion, crankspeed, coolant temperature with have major effects but things like air temp and even seen on some petrol cars altitude sensors will have a minor fine tuning of AFR.

Sounds like what they have done is put a resistor across in either in series, or paralel, depending on the setup to either richen or lean the mixture slightly.

Edit- How's is your fuel consumption now? Maybe make a note and then cut it off but make sure it's not in series or you will remove that sensor input altogether. Then see how it runs after. They may have done it to hide a problem elsewhere.

Last edited:
I could be wrong here but in theory it should be making you get a tad more fuel in each injection stroke, lower air temp coupled with the boost sensor still reading the same boost pressure means more oxygen per CM^2 once compressed in the computers eyes so it needs to correct for this with more fuel to return to stoicheometric ratios.

Honestly you should remove it, hate seing backyard mechanics thinking they know better then chemical and mechanical engineers.

As above stated.. It's to TRICK the ECM into thinking that lower temperature air is being sucked in, and adjusting the amount of fuel injected..

When the Gen3 V8's first came out, it was a popular Mod (eBay still sells them!) - but it was soon found that it is unreliable.. And, basically a bush-hack..

Let the MAF do what it was designed to do.. Remove the Resistors and try and get legit cold air into the intake..

Hey guys, Thanks for all the responses.

First of all its a 3.0L D22 as for fuel consumption its hard to tell coz I've not long since had a 3 inch turbo back exhaust done and I put a Nissan snorkel on it last weekend.

I agree 180degrees, I did remove it at then end of the day it was put there for a reason and I knew a resistor was just giving the sensor a constant value, so i pulled the resistor out and put it back where it was supposed to go and I havent noticed any changes.

I just wanted to check if this was common coz everyone I asked couldnt give me an answer.

Thanks again fellas

Latest posts

Back