Intercooler Opinions,

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick-palmer1

Reaction score
Hey everyone! been reading about intercoolers on here and have been looking at a few pics, i was thinking of going with the XR6 intercooler but looking at some photos it takes up a fair bit of room and i want to eventually fit a winch as well, Also wondering where the best places to run the pipes would be? not a lot of room in there!

i found this intercooler on Ebay,( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-Perf...ies&hash=item2a25e04d54&_uhb=1#ht_1560wt_1037)

anyone know if it would do the job? its pretty small compared to some of the ones i have seen people fit on here.

Yea I got that micro cooler as top mount,fits well with 80 series box and 12" dual battery if I want it.makes a noticeable difference,would be better with bonnet scoop and thermo fan

nice, i was thinking of setting it up as a front mount, not too keen on cutting a hole in the bonnet and then its away from the heat of the engine as well, just cant see any decent spots to run 2-2.5 inch pipe through from the front back to the engine,

Talk to the guys at cross country 4x4 here in Adelaide. They do a really nice one. I am in the process of doing an online store for them and John the welder would be one of the best around. A true artist. He build all the coolers for my drag race VW beetle and it hasn't failed yet at 22 psi and 320 up at the wheels. They have just developed a really nice front mount which I am thinking of putting on my d22.

Check them out. T54

Didn't know they had made front mount,there top mount is nice but like all top mount off the shelf kits there pricey.
Is there front mount going to be winch compataple.id say that's the bigges problem with front mounts on the d22 unless off course you don't intend on needing a winch.
Nick I think from when I was looking into it the only way was cutting through the bullbar mount at some point (not a fan).im going to get a bonnet scoop put in and the thermo fan when I get around to putting that on and it should be good,I did it more for protection which is why I went top mount as I still want a winch and wasn't to fussed about gain however with that bonnet scoop and fan it should be almost as good as front mount takeing into account the very little lag from front mount aswell.also I couldn't argue with the price difference haha.it spools up super quick now :)

I doubt you will make a front mount and a winch fit
I changed my large front mount to the micro and ran it as a front mount,
Sitting up nice and high and it was still too much hassle to fit winch.
Physically I think they would both fit with the way my pipes run past radiator, but just too awkward to get to anything to fit them up.
Micro intercooler will be going top mount with a bonnet scoop in coming weeks.

I've just purchased a water-to-air intercooler and I intend on making that fit in the engine bay amongst all the other crap, it's gonna be tight, but achieveable, and the small radiator for the liquid has a thermofan, so I can mount that pretty much where ever I want.

Cost was just on $600 from the states for the complete kit. (intercooler, pump, radiator, fan, hose and fittings, etc)

The ase, now hpd front mount fits with a winch no problem

http://hpdiesel.com.au/nissan-navar...er-kit?zenid=55bd19b1ba49b123b1a092602f46c7eb

However, you do need to cut the bullbar mount. I have an arb bar, had to cut a moon shape piece about 25mm radius, then welded a piece a piece of pipe around it to give it strength. If you have the alloy bar, I would cut the hole through it as they recomend, those mounts are very tough, better than the budget arb ones which are too light in my opinion.

Awesome thanks guys, another question, Craig if I was to to top mount is there plenty of room under the bonnet? I don't have a body lift

Yes the Cross Country front mount fits with a winch. The fabricator who builds the Cross Country intercoolers used to work at ASE. I find ASE very expensive (I used them for my street/ race car intercoolers) and now because of this would used CC4x4 as I know they use good cores, good quality aluminium and John is the best Aluminium and stainless welder I have ever seen.
This is what he built me at ASE. I designed the setup and had it fabricated.

Twin intercooled Turbo injected setup for my 2.2ltr VW beetle motor.
Injector-2.jpg

Question. As most 4wd driving is done at very slow speeds what use is a air to air unless it is drawing cold air from somewhere else like you AC condenser?

T54

Yes the cross country intercooler does fit with a winch. John the fabricator at Cross Country used to work for ASE and is the finest aluminium and stainless welder I have ever seen.

I had him build a twin intercooled setup for s street / race VW beetle I have.

Injector-2.jpg

I find the ASE range to be excessive in price. I know that cross country use quality cores and a high grade of aluminium in there coolers. This is NOT saying ASE doesn't, I dont know.

I am currently in the process of looking at the CC4x4 brand and online shopping features, so keep checking back to there website.
T54

Awesome thanks guys, another question, Craig if I was to to top mount is there plenty of room under the bonnet? I don't have a body lift

Yea mate if its all placed well,I've got the intercooler,tray for a full size (12") battery and the 80 series airbox,also room to squeeze in a catch can.Im not 100% if you would get a thermo fan in without a body lift.maybe with a slim line thermo fan.i guess the biggest part of the decision for me was its a 4x4 and I didn't want to "weaken" it's potential so to speak.imo especially for what I do front mount is just too exposed and I don't want to be going through the bush and have something in the cooler system be damaged and me be stuck.also really not a fan of cutting my bullbar as Roos seem to be attracted to it when I'm out hunting haha.so yea for me it was more about engine protection though don't get me wrong I still got great peformance gain especially considering it doesn't even have a scoop yet and couldn't argue with the whole setup for 220.so yea all in all I guess it's all about what you plan to do with your rig.Theres a picture of my cooler setup so you can see how its laid out in my build thread "Craig's D22 hunting rig/tourer/4x4"search that it should come up.

Last edited:
No worries,let us know how you go when you do it either way you go with.justjap.com is where I got everything,that cooler is 100 and clamps and piping are good price

I mounted the micro cooler where the pre-cleaner used to be. Pipes run from the turbo along the fire wall behind the fuel filter then along the side past the air filter, into the cooler then out of the cooler and into the intake. I havn't seen anyone else mount it here but it works for me! It actually gets a fair amount of air flow off the radiator fan. I couldn't mount it over the turbo because my catch can was in the way!

I've decided on the top mount, ordered the cooler and a catch can from ebay just have to get the hoses, have seen a few pics on here of other peoples set ups so im pretty sure i know what i''ve got to get. only thing im wondering is if i use silicon hose straight off the turbo will the heat from the turbo hurt the hose? most other turbo set ups i've seen have a metal pipe coming off there and then silicon.

You won't hurt the silicone pipe going straight off the turbo (maybe with cheap crap)My pipes are from justjap and have no issue dealing with heat.There is a thread somewhere with the exact list of what you need in regards to pipes and clamps,can have a look for you if you like and post the link.

Question. As most 4wd driving is done at very slow speeds what use is a air to air unless it is drawing cold air from somewhere else like you AC condenser?

T54
It catches the turbine blades when the turbo lets go.

Latest posts

Back