intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearz

Reaction score
gday all im a newbie with turbo engines. so im asking can you use any sort of intercooler and is the process to put it in that difficult to do myself I have an 05 3.0 td. also what are the advantages of doing the egr mod. cheers

You can't just use ANY intercooler, it has to fit and it has to flow enough - but that does leave a LOT of options open. Someone on this forum has fitted the intercooler from a Ford XR6 Turbo to his Navara - it's a bit large but it will do the job (both cooling the airstream, and catching broken turbocharger pieces).

The EGR mod basically reduces the deliberate introduction of exhaust gas straight from the exhaust into the intake manifold. This only happens between idle and full throttle - at the end points of accelerator, EGR valve is closed. When it's open it allows exhaust gas - and that includes soot - into the manifold. Combined with oil vapour from the PCV (I'll get to THAT in a second) you end up with a black sludge in the intake manifold.

The PCV is another source of exhaust gas for the intake manifold. Combustion gas (including soot) passes the piston rings to enter the crankcase. The soot is mostly absorbed by the oil - that's why diesel oil turns black so bloody quickly - but the combustion gas heats the oil up, turning some of it to vapour. This has to be vented - at the top of the camshaft cover at the rear of the engine you'll see a hose about 25mm thick, which leads to the intake just in front of the turbocharger. This hose carries the gas and oil vapour.

You can fit a catch can to trap most of that oil, but the exhaust gas (minus MOST of the soot) will still have to go in the intake - it's illegal to do otherwise, and dangerous for the motorbikes travelling behind you.

I have a cross country top mount i/c on mine. Only reason i went with a kit is i ca't have The Ute off The road, need to get to work. Looking at what a few blokes have done themselves on here its not hard. But it ight take a couple of weekends and some running around

Back