Is the day of the V8 dead ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like chasing v8's with anything that has a straight 6

even if you cant beat em' they hate it when you can keep right up their clacka.

lol.

What sort of straight sixes are you talking about?

I guess a better question would be what sort of V8's are you keeping up too?

my weapon of choice is the RB30 - NA, port work, balanced, cam, exhaust so on and so forth.

But I refer to any in line 6 whether that be any of the Nissan RBs a 265/225 hemi with triples, 186 or 202 with triple SUs, BMW 6 cyl, tickford 6, fpv turbo six and many other sweet sweet revving 6s.

BUT NEVER EVER EVER! EVER!!! A RUFF AS GUTS HOPELESS, POORLEY ENGINEERED COMMODORE V6.

To be fair none of those stock sixes (except turbos) would keep a fuel injected holden/ chevV8.

Maybe some modified/multiple carb big sixes would against a stock 5.0l holden. Wouldnt take much work though to change that.

v8's will never die.

ya can't beat the sound of a v8 the deep growl they have i love it.
my old man has a wh 5.7L statesman with dual 2.5 inch straight through and extractor's. the sound and the torque they are great to drive.
my old man's statsmen get's 10.5L per 100km on the highway,
and i dont know if yas know they weigh about a tonne(maybe a bit less) more then a commodore and like are a meter longer.

a mate has a new v8 turbo diesel cruiser ute, with a 3 inch mandrel bent system no muffler and the sound of it when he is feeding it the fat is great. ill find a video so ya can hear it.

nathan96, most people buy v8's cause of the sound and feel of them, if ya want a booster to race people, go buy a 4cyclinder silvia or an evo, my mate's evo9 sound's great valve bouncing and shooting flame's out the exhaust at 8000rpm but it doesn't compare to a v8 at full noise.

Last edited:
Careful how you are reading into what I have said. These are my personal preferences (I don't intend to force them upon anyone but i will argue to hell and back that inline 6s are better than v8s even if my arguments are totally baseless). This is the thing about cars that make them so enjoyable.

I have never said i don't like v8s. In fact I really love them. I just love straight 6s that bit more.

Maybe just to be different, or maybe its an underdog thing. But its just my thing

I don't like ricers. (but I can appreciate power those little engines put out when heavily boosted). I also generally like these cars before they get attacked with neons and spoilers

Kickars, "but it doesn't compare to a v8 at full noise" - your opinion. But i'll raise you one up - The sound of a inline 6 spinning to near 8000rpm after a down change. like this vid - someones already picked up on it a 1:12

YouTube - Skyline R31 Group A...Australia shorter version

I love the sound of V8's, dont think Id own one though.

One of my mates is a V8 nut and I have been in a couple of his V8 commodores and 350 chev powered HZ one tonner, but where is the technology. Big ci and lots of fuel.

I dont know what it is but big diesel's I cant get enough of.

YouTube - 170 Tonne Road Train Hill Climbing

YouTube - Push Pull - Heavy Haul - Cat 994 - Mack Super Liner

YouTube - Western Star Heavy Haulage Australia 140t Load - Push Pull

^ To me this this video looks like a couple of KM's out of Singleton NSW heading northbound toward Muswellbrooke. Not all that far from me really.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
dave i haven't watched thoes video's yet. cause can't get you tube at work lol
but i think that botcher's skyline, he is from maryborough.
his new one had a ls2 6.0L twin turbo in it putting out like 900 hp. and none of the drag strips would let him run in without role cage and something else so he changed it to a single turbo and got the same amount of hp.

I knew the thing had some power but didn't know that much.

Certainly a cool build.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back