Just fitted a Steering damper to D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradM

Reaction score
Just fitted a Steering damper to the D22. Rancho RS500 Damper and fitting kit. It makes a good difference to the steering, very impressed.

I now have a snake racing idler arm renforcement box for sale $50 plus shipping as the idler arm mounting bolts are not long enough to have both.

Any takers on it and a set of lovells gas shocks. The idler arm renforcer is brand new never fitted and the shocks have done 3,000 klms.

$300 NEG for the shocks plus shipping. Items are in Karratha WA.

Hi ads74 here just wondering how hard it was to fit and is it such a big difference cheers

Fitting Steering Damper

The hardest bit was undoing the nuts on the bolts for the Idler Arm. Apart from that it is pretty straight forward. I do not have a hoist so be prepared to crawl around under the D22 a bit. You need a good quality 19mm socket with T Handle L handle and a 300 mm pipe extension that goes over it to undo the Idler arm nuts. 19mm ring spanner on the bolt heads at the same time.

That is the hard bit.

It does "make a difference" as it tends not to want to wander anymore.

I was just wondering if there is any way to improve the turning circle to a little less than the queen Mary 2...

Anthony

Unit and Mount Kit from 4W1

The Damper and mounting kit came from 4W1. Unfortunately nothing will cure the turning circle of the D22 Navara. It along with the Patrol are a curse in the car parks of shopping center.

Definitely fit the steering damper if you have the spare cash. It should come from the factory with one.

4 W 1

D22 Rancho HD Damper & Bracket Kit $198 and they free ship it.

Last edited:
at least the turning circle of the D22 is not as bad as the D40 and other utes.
btw depending on tires you can wind in the stops a bit and get better turning circle. i was told how much you could wind it in but i have long since forgotten.

brad
has it helped with stopping the ute pulling left?

also, your link for 4w1 doesnt work?

heata said:
So do they all pull left? mine seems to want to go left. I was thinking it was road camber.... I would describe it as trying to 'ease' left.

Yeah I thought it was the road camber too, I still probably do think that because if I change to driving to the right it pulls right. Unless someone can give a reason why it pulls left (aside from the obvious wheel alignment reasons). Keen to know if the dampener helps though.

steering damper won't stop it pulling left. thats more of an alignment and tire issue.
steering dampers don't fix problems, it just hides them. so sort your steering out before fitting one.

Steering Damper

Hi,
I have fixed up the link for 4W1
My Navara was not pulling to the left, the reason I fitted the damper was to stop the "ping pong" steering whilst driving along. The damper has rectified this problem.

The front end alignment of the D22 or lack there of is starting to show on mine with wear on the inner sides of both front tyres. This is pretty standard on a torsion bar front end suspension.

I believe screwing them up to give a bit of lift and replacement springs on the back to lift the D22 about 40mm would go a long way to curing the problem.

There must be dozens of people out there who have already done this. How do they drive after the lift?

i am presuming you could fit the steering damper along with the idler arm brace if you went out and got slightly longer bolts?
Does anyone have a pic of the damper installed?

Latest posts

Back