K&N Air Filters.... What's people's experiences?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Guys.....

I tried doing a search on "K&N" but nothing came up so I thought I'd ask the question.....

The Navara that I bought came with a K&N Air Filter and I've always have been told by a mate of mine that works in the Filtering Business that "don't use K&N when travelling on dusty roads..... normal blacktop might be OK..... Then I spoke to the fellas at Northside4X4, and they told me the opposite, that K&N is better.... it breathes better (as it would with it's design) and they also reckon it filters out the dust as well..... They went on to say u get better performance (more kW) with them. They also mentioned that they do not like the foam Uni-Filter type of filters as that can limit air into the air intake....

I'm not sure on who to believe as when I did take out my K&N, it did have a bit of crap in it but also when I lift it up to the light, I could also see the sunlight through the small pin holes..... surely tha would be an indication of it being able to let dust in...... unless it wasn't properly cleaned and re-oiled prior to me getting the car.

What are some people's experiences with these typres of filters?

comments....

Panel filters etc. that are non washable and non oiled are garbage, i wouldnt use them on my ride on mower. however if it a washable oilable filter it should be fine. Ive run oiled k&n pod filters on performance cars as long as you clean them correctly and oil them regulary you shouldnt have any dramas.
Any oiled filter will block up sooner on dirt roads but in my opinion (i have nothing to support this)

Interesting comments. I have spoken to 2 reputable diesel mechanic recently and their advise was NOT to use K&N (oiled) air filters. Not sure why but they certainly tried to push me back to a traditional paper filter (I was running a K&N).

Could be to do with the oil collecting on the air flow sensor.

I await others comments.

Oiled filters can create a build up of oil on sensors but shouldnt be a big problem imo if let to set and for lack of better word dry. I run one on a motor running 19psi and it didnt suck any oil through or make the map sensor fail and no people with different ecus that use maf sensor and have no worries. dont know but im no expert just my experiences and i beleive paper k&n filters are to open

I put a K&N panel on my series 6 a couple weeks after I got it. Power increase is slightly noticable and I believe it spools up a little quicker? Maybe just sounds more like it? Not sure. Either way when you hold a K&N vs a standard up to the sun you can clearly see which is going to give better performance. All I do is put the standard panel back in if we are heading bush for the weekend as no way would I run a K&N in dusty conditions...

i think its just a overpriced filter that really don't do much at all ...
iv had one before waste of money i reckon.

I've just come back from talking to my mate who works for a filtering business.... They've said they have had numerous people in that have had engine issues after running the k&n's. They now only sell the k&n's for your small motors (ride-on's / bikes, etc) They won't sell any of the vehicle ones. He went on to say that they might try and start collecting photo's of some issues that people have had to help people understand why not to use them.... especially in dusty conditions.....

Personally, I also think how u re-oil them may have a lot to do with all the bad reports that I hear about, but never the less, I'll play it safe and stick to my paper one.......

i think theres a few tests around that show K&N's let more fine dust through. with a petrol that not a big problem as the average amount of air used is not large.
diesels however consume far larger amounts of air and the dust that goes with it.
tho with high egr motors thats reduced a fair bit.

i would stick with paper.

also some interesting testing by a few crowds showed that the filter housing causes far more restriction than the filter does. you really need to work out what is causing the restriction.

Hi gents,
I have had the k&n cartridge filter for a few months now and have just yesterday flicked the air box to fit a large as I can fit k&n 4" pod filter on rx d40 2008.

I noticed a few things with doing this conversion,

1. The new filter was very lightly oiled and I mean VERY lightly oiled. I have cleaned and oiled my original k&n cartridge filter a couple of times and have over oiled it by the looks of the air flow sensor being a little greasy. The filter is in my opinion a lot smaller than it can be which leaves little space for error.

2. The original d40 air boxes are very small and if you put your hand over the inlet side of it under rev you can see how restrictive they really are.

3. Having now fitted a large pod filter I have noticed better pulling and torque while pulling 2.2ton trailer and obviously better filtration as the surface area of the filter is much larger!

I did the conversion myself and used a cut shorter 90 degree 3.5" rubber elbow with a steel 3.5"-4" sleeve to mount the 4" pod filter. Fits in behind the headlight nice and snug. I believe it's worth doing.

Hope my experience helps!

Last edited:
Hi gents,
I have had the k&n cartridge filter for a few months now and have just yesterday flicked the air box to fit a large as I can fit k&n 4" pod filter on rx d40 2008.

I noticed a few things with doing this conversion,

1. The new filter was very lightly oiled and I mean VERY lightly oiled. I have cleaned and oiled my original k&n cartridge filter a couple of times and have over oiled it by the looks of the air flow sensor being a little greasy. The filter is in my opinion a lot smaller than it can be which leaves little space for error.

2. The original d40 air boxes are very small and if you put your hand over the inlet side of it under rev you can see how restrictive they really are.

3. Having now fitted a large pod filter I have noticed better pulling and torque while pulling 2.2ton trailer and obviously better filtration as the surface area of the filter is much larger!

I did the conversion myself and used a cut shorter 90 degree 3.5" rubber elbow with a steel 3.5"-4" sleeve to mount the 4" pod filter. Fits in behind the headlight nice and snug. I believe it's worth doing.

Hope my experience helps!

Any chance of some pics ??

Are running a Snorkel as well ??

Latest posts

Back