Kero engine flush on Diesels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justAL

Reaction score
Question folks but a little background first.

On all my previous cars (Volvo, Volkswagen, 2 MG's; N/A petrol engines) I've added a couple of cups of kero before each oil change @ 5k and let the car idle for 5-15 minutes until it reaches operating temp before dropping the oil.

Each of those motors got 300k to 360k kms before I needed to rebuild them. Is there any real issues with applying the same flushing regime to a turbo diesel? My main concern her would be the turbo. I would hate to think that there are long term affects I'd be applying to such a highly stressed system in terms of it's overall lubrication?

Currently the ZD motor has 75k and I'd like to extend the service life of the motor as much as possible so all your thoughts are appreciated here.

People seem to do all sorts of things to their cars.

It might have some benefit in some vehicles but I'd be wary of it in my diesel. Blow-by - something diesels suffer more from than petrol engines - could cause problems with the kerosene, ranging from ingesting it (through the PCV system) to igniting the fluid in the crankcase. I'm not sure kero burns cleanly either, so it might cause carbon issues in the system.

Regular oil changes using high-quality low-ash (JASO-FD is specified by Nissan, and that's good stuff) are recommended. Certainly change the oil when it's warm.

As for adding stuff to the oil, I might consider a small amount of some detergent-agent - whether that's kerosene in a bottle labeled "Kerosene", or kerosene in a bottle labelled "Engine Sump Detergent" I'll never know. But I wouldn't be putting in heaps.

on the other hand if you ever decide to fit a jet engine to your nav,
the kero will run it like a dream.

:cheers!:

kero is basically untreated diesel.

no way i would use it as an engine flush. firstly there is no need to flush an engine unless you have sludge build up (poor oil or not changing it soon enough). also diesel engine oil has much more detergents in it to keep it clean anyway.

kero has no lube in it. you might get away with it on lightly loaded bearings but it can stuff turbo bearings very very quickly. one big killer of turbo's is diesel leaking into engine oil and kero is worse than diesel.

So just keeping to the course of 5k services is more than enough.
Thanks for the input fellas

So just keeping to the course of 5k services is more than enough.
Thanks for the input fellas

Good idea.

Also, if you havn't blocked the EGR yet, might be worth considering. (heaps of info on here 'search')

With 5K filter and oil changes and a blocked egr, my oil comes out much, much cleaner than when the egr was operational.

I find that funny Because I always heard storys of people putting a cup of Diesel in the engine oil before oil change. that sounds a little more like it

Gonzo: One's a little more refined than the other....to-may-toe, too-ma-toe. ;)

Yeah, the ERG was done at the last service at 70k.

Gotta fill up the D22 tonight and take the missus out. I offered her cuddles in the dunes on the beach and letting the dogs roam free but she came back with, "Anaconda has a sale on tonight. They're open until late."

:)

Last edited:
I use a bottle of that engine oil flush stuff on every oil change, been doing it for the last 100000k and all is running well, car has almost 200000k on it now. The reason I started using it was because an older diesel I used to own had a smoking problem but once I started using that and injecter cleaner the smoke just dissapeared. Also on that car, the first time I used the flush the amount of sludge that came out was crazy so I want to make sure the nav does not get the same build up. emm, makes me think I might flush the rad today.

Back