Knocking noise coming from transfer box or transmission

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparks1995

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a knocking noise coming from my transmission or transfer box, it's a 2007 D40 navara, it's also blowing smoke at about 2800 to 3500 revs. I have a small clip of the noise and I'll try to attach it now

Cheers
Sean

Your transfer box isn't moving while the vehicle is stationary like that. It has to be somewhere between the radiator fan and the input shaft in the gearbox. It could be the clutch, or the pressure plate, but could also be a broken spring in the flywheel. If the car drives just as well as it always did, I'd think spring before anything else, but it could be a bearing on the input shaft too. Not sure if the lifters would make that noise but if there was a problem with the thrust bearing/pressure plate interface making the thrust bearing wobble, it could do that too. Needs to be cracked open and inspected!

That doesn't change the culprits. Depressing the clutch pushes the thrust bearing into the pressure plate bearing which loads up the pressure plate springs, releasing the pressure on the clutch and unloading the dual mass flywheel and the gearbox input shaft at the same time (which is directly connected to the clutch since that's what the clutch is mounted on).

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back