Leaf upgrade or airbags for towing?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmcjob

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a 2013 rx dual cab and use it as an every dayer but it's also used to pull a horse float with 1-2 horses in it. Float weighs about 1.3 tonne empty and around 2.5+ tonne with 2 horses in it. Having issues with the rear sagging under the weight and have been looking into options to lift the car or even just the rear.

Options include:

- 2" lift kit (spacers only)
- stiffer rear leaf springs (tough dog on eBay?)
- airbag kit, rear only. (Boss kits on eBay?)

I don't want the ride to be too rough whilst driving without load. Also don't won't to spend too much money. Leaf and air bag kits are about $500ish plus installation. Lift kit spacers are about $300ish.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above and towing heavy loads?

I'm in Melbourne too if you have any recommendations on where to go.

Dont do the spacers alone. Either bags or springs. I have heard bags can result in chassis cracks etc. But for your application, constant load springs would be good.

But that said, you said you don't want a rough ride onroad. There will be someone who can shed more light on the airbag sides of things as i have never really dealt with bags as i personally dont like them.

Yeah I wasn't to sure about the spacers and towing.

The tough dog leaf springs I were looking at said they had a 2 tier solution. Tier one would act as normal to provide a normal ride, then when the load was on the back the lead springs would flex to tier 2 offering the extra support.

Does that sound right?

Thats about right mate. I run performance Ironman leaf springs with Ironman load helper springs bolted on top. Same thing more or less. If you can spend the coin, get some shocks to suit as well or buy a rear lift kit.

Rear lift kit with constant load springs and shocks will work great and it wont pull the arse end right down.

For you I would suggest getting a suspension upgrade all round, your car will better hold the loads you need to carry, and update the great in there now.
Of course tell them your requirements, most descent suspension suppliers should be able to tailor fit your check list. And If doubt ask old mate if your not happy can he swap it around until you are?

We've towed a little, traded the 1.8T van you see in my sig for a 2.5T van that shits just as nicely behind our Navara. There are TWO secrets to the success.

First, DECENT suspension. That means dual-rate leaf springs. Airbags will stiffen the tail but will restrict rear axle travel and since the load point shifts to midway between the designed load points, there is a greater risk of bending the chassis. Just Google "ute bent chassis" for more info (some of it downright scary). Even a causeway on an UNDERweighted ute can bend the chassis because the load point is wrong.

Second, weight distribution hitch. Let me find a photo - you'll see mine, we tow with them ALL the time, they help to even out the ride. I've uploaded the image in its original size because you not only get to see the WDH mounted, but where we took the shot.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0215.jpg
    IMAG0215.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 472
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll look into the dual rated leaf springs. There is a place in bayswater (melbounre) that sells tough dog leaf springs on eBay, will give him a bell.

As for the weight distribution hitch, just had a look on the hayman Reece website (http://www.haymanreese.com.au/download/understanding-weight-distribution-and-sway-control) and I'm not to keen on theirs and having to bolt the extra brackets onto the float. Is that the only way they work?

That's it. It's the only way. The brackets are only bolted to the float in order for them to not fall off, they don't have to be clamped on hard.

In the page shown on that link (as of today, it might change), diagram 3 shows the weight distribution hitch, and on the right you see the "clamp" that the chains attach to. On the far side of the trailer A frame you can see the single bolt that retains it. There is nothing else fixing the device to the trailer. To carry the weight you're talking about you'd have to have 2 axles, so you wouldn't need to worry about the sway bars.

The hitch that we have now is this one. Surprisingly, although we've added about 700kg to the towing mass, the towball weight has dropped from 180kg to 130kg, so those bars are a tad heavy duty for the new van - so I've got it at minimum lift.

They stabilise the ride as well as return the car to a more level setting. Initial setup is important, and you'd want the horses - or an approximately close amount of weight - on the trailer in the normal position for this.

Latest posts

Back