LED headlights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibbo123

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted or researched fitting LED headlights? Jaycar have started stocking them in a H4 lo/hi kit and also a lot on eBay.

I don't want to fit HIDs in the reflector headlight but I'm not sure if the LEDs would do the same "blind ever oncoming driver" thing. The LEDs also appear to disperse the light top and bottom of the "globe" not 360 degrees like a normal halogen.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL3498

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREE-50W...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acfaaa376

Cheers, Tim

Same here i had hid's but took them out because i was consistently getting high beamed by other cars.. although the light output was great for me with the hid's. I would be interested to see how these go.

I'm waiting to try a set of h7 led globe replacements in a customer of mines 76series cruiser. I will let you know how we go with it and if it's all good I'm keen to try a h4 kit that I can get from my suppliers.

These things have little fans in the back of them - now, we've had our headlights under water before. How would these go being completely submerged?

As for light output, these are bloody bright and I might try a pair myself. Halogen puts out around 13 lumens per watt, possibly up to 20-22 lumens (depends on the design and the gas mix used). On a 55W globe that's a max of 1210 lumens, and these LED units are rated at 1600-1800 lumens?

I think I'll give them a go, but at $170 I'll have to wait for a couple of pays - I'm putting new shelving up in my workshop and with money a little tight, I am doing the important bits first (and shelves to hold up my tools is more important).

(and shelves to hold up my tools is more important).[/QUOTE]

Try Bonds i hear they are "a very compfy undy".

Back on topic ill be watching closely.

Remember
they are not ADR approved
therefore they have the potential to void your insurance

They won't work as well as halogen headlight bulbs. For a LED to be powerful enough to compete with a 50/100W halogen bulb, there needs to be a huge high-wattage module with a relatively large heat sink. I wouldn't waste money on them.

They won't work as well as halogen headlight bulbs. For a LED to be powerful enough to compete with a 50/100W halogen bulb, there needs to be a huge high-wattage module with a relatively large heat sink. I wouldn't waste money on them.

This!!

i have also heard nothing but bad about these and if you do a quick search on youtube there is ALOT of vids showing the output!

Save your money guys

I think some of those vids look pretty convincing. If they were cheaper id be tempted to buy some just to see how they go. Yet to see any halogen put out any kind of decent light like a hid

This!!

i have also heard nothing but bad about these and if you do a quick search on youtube there is ALOT of vids showing the output!

Save your money guys

I work as a sales-rep for an LED lighting importer and have seen tested some H1 & H4 LED bulbs. They just don't cut the mustard.

If you want the HID look without going actual HIDs, you can buy 6000K cool white halogen bulbs these days....waiting on a cheapy pair to arrive from China for my D22 ;)

Paul, that was a fantastic find. For me it demonstrated a few important things:

1) LED headlight globes are bloody useless
2) HID is so slow to illuminate I don't want them
3) HID scatters like bloody mad
4) HID is incredibly bright but because it's scattered it's useless
5) OT is gonna stick to halogens for a while.

I might add some LED floods, but only so I can see around bends on tight forest trails. Looks like my IPFs are still the goods for distance.

If you want the HID look without going actual HIDs, you can buy 6000K cool white halogen bulbs these days....waiting on a cheapy pair to arrive from China for my D22 ;)

Have you got a link to them? I've found heaps on eBay but not sure whether to get the $10 or spend the extra money and go Hella or similar

I think the replies in this thread have pretty much summed up LED headlights. Glad I didn't buy them!

Have you got a link to them? I've found heaps on eBay but not sure whether to get the $10 or spend the extra money and go Hella or similar

I think the replies in this thread have pretty much summed up LED headlights. Glad I didn't buy them!

I'm waiting for a $10 pair to arrive from China, for my Nav. If they work well I'll post pics and order another pair for my other car :)

I figured i would have a play with a set of H4 Cree 25watt led globes
Fitted just the passengers side so could do a decent comparison
I used a chamois to cover the individual headlight

H4 Cree Led Headlight low beam
20141121_203924_zpslslbgdf2.jpg

20141121_203955_zpsgxqmfcbq.jpg

Narva Plus 120 headlight low beam
20141121_204032_zpsmlux6vkj.jpg

20141121_204047_zpsef1up9ah.jpg

H4 Narva plus 120 High Beam
20141121_204114_zpsr2raidtx.jpg

H4 Cree LED High Beam
20141121_204138_zpsj1zqrpk1.jpg

Conclusion
The light output from the LED is much better and wider on Low Beam. Distance not as good as the plus 120
On High Beam there doesnt appear any difference between Low and High Beam with the LED but very obviously there is on the Plus 120
So you could have much better lighting if you use the LED however you will need to supliment High Beam with some extra form of lighting.
I also had a close look with the LED and the Plus 120 and the LED has the light sources closer to the base than the Plus 120 so not really in the correct focal point for the reflector .that might explain the lack of distance .
When shining the headlights against the garage door the Plus 120 appears a far better focused light than the Cree however the Cree is a much better colour

The best improvement I have made to the headlights was wire them up through relays, (1 each for high and low beam).
HIDs didn't focus the light correctly, and LEDs can get hot enough to potentially discolour your headlights.

The LED globes would not even come close to the temp of a stock Quartz globe .
Incandescant globes are 95% heat ( yes Im generalising as some globes would run hotter than others ) so in theory a 100watt globe would generate 95 watts of heat.
The LED on the other hand even if it ran at 100% heat would only be 50watts on high and 25watts on low.

All I can say Paul,

Is it is a good comparison,
I have the 120+ and I think I will stick with them.
Thanks for your info but.
Was really good to get a good comparison between the both.

Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's

Latest posts

Back