LED reverse/ work lights!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah sorry, it may actually be called spdt ( single pole double throw) because it works both ways... anyway, have a look at this and tell me what you reckon
IMG_20130330_205731.jpg

You can stick fuses wherever you like, but if the wiring is out of danger its up to you if you use them. Not much else I can say really, that's probably the way I'd do it... Just run twin core to the lights for the 2 power feeds so you can split them wherever you want to put the lights.

Sorry, should have said. 87a would be the feed for the switches at the actual lights as that will have power when the relay is "off", 87 for the in cab switch so when the relay is "on" the lights both come on

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, it may actually be called spdt ( single pole double throw) because it works both ways... anyway, have a look at this and tell me what you reckon
IMG_20130330_205731.jpg

To be honest with a relay like that you probably don't even need diodes, but I'd probably do it just to be on the safe side. You can stick fuses wherever you like, but if the wiring is out of danger its up to you if you use them. Not much else I can say really, that's probably the way I'd do it... Just run twin core to the lights for the 2 power feeds so you can split them wherever you want to put the lights.

Sorry, should have said. 87a would be the feed for the switches at the actual lights as that will have power when the relay is "off", 87 for the in cab switch so when the relay is "on" the lights both come on

Yeh mate it looks pretty simple. So 87 runs the 2 switches and 87a runs the diodes which is coming from the override in cab? Where does the reverse selection go to?

Yeh mate it looks pretty simple. So 87 runs the 2 switches and 87a runs the diodes which is coming from the override in cab? Where does the reverse selection go to?

Nah, other way around, 87a would be the switches ( I think, been a while since i actually bought a relay, lol. They do have pictures on them to show the nc and no positions though, so go off that) as that is the nc (normally closed) position when the relay isn't powered. For the reverse feed, there is a plug under the driver's seat that has a reverse light wire in it from the switch on the gearbox, I think it was black with a pink trace? Not sure what colour now, but I used that to switch my headunit to the reverse camera, there was a thread with the wire colour and location in it, that's how I found it.

Here is a relay, that one would work fine, it looks like 87a is the nc position when the relay is off
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...RO-12V-20-10AMP-WITH-RES-5PIN.aspx?pid=293184

Last edited:
Ok so

87 is when relay is on so N/O
87a is when relay is off so N/C
Reverse is wire that has power only when gear is selected. Would I need to then send a wire back to 87a? For them to activate?

Also what sizes diode do you recommend?
Would a 20amp relay be sufficient?

Thanks for answering the painful questions.

That's cool, lol. For the reverse wire, when the switch is in the reverse position it will send power to the relay (same as the in cab override switch) which will send power through pin 87 on the relay powering both lights, 87a is just for using the lights independently of each other, if you turn the other switch on it will override both the other switches that are at the lights and turn them both on.

20a relay would be heaps, even a 40" light bar shouldn't pull any more than 20a I wouldn't have thought...

Diodes, probably these would be massive overkill but I don't know where else to get any better ones... http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZR1154
Someone else may know, but I'm not sure who else sells them in an actual store...

One thing guys

On a normal 5 pin relay 87 & 87a are basically the same. I.e when relay is on it pulls in contact and provides power to both. Therefore you could do the above drawing using a 4 pin relay even.

HOWEVER, the above will not work as you dont have 12v feed to the tub switches unless the three way is on.

Hey Mitch.

I understand what you mean with using a 4pin so a spst relay. Would you put the switches before or after the diode? Also would I require I diode for the reverse signal from the reverse wore to the switch?

Nah rusty, the reverse wire won't need a diode as it will only be powered one way. When the switch is off no power goes to either of those wires, also, as long as they are off the relay won't be powered so there's no way the power can go back the other way. The diodes at the lights themselves are just to stop the other light turning on when you turn the other one on. If you didn't have them, when you turn the switch for one light on the power would travel down the other feed and turn the other light on.

Also, as Mitch said above, you won't have any power to the lights if the dash switch is either off or in the reverse position.

Ok that's sounds good. Now we have sorted that I am thinking a 10-15amp rated wire. So the 3-4mm twin core. I have lots of it lying in the shed. I just have to work out where I am running the wire from and to and how

yeah, you have got a couple of options, but i'd probably say the easiest would be having the relay in the tub with your other electrical gear, then just twin core to each light. you can either put the switches with your other ones in your switch panel if you have room and put the diodes next to them, then just run the feeds to the lights, or with each light, not sure what mounting options for that are though... it doesn't matter where you put the diodes in the other line, as long as they are in there to stop the power going back the other way.

as for the in cab switch, it depends if you want that to work all the time or only when the ignition is on, but you can choose the wiring for that from under the dash, then just run a single wire out to the relay. stick up some pics when you get it finished anyway, it will be good to see

Last edited:
i've edited that picture slightly to show the wiring directions a bit easier, just in case anyone else has the same idea...

That's how I did it (middle relay) one active from cabin and one from tub switch.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 47
I did a quick redraw of your picture anyway. I will post it up soon. I was hoping to have the switchs for the lights as close to them as possible. Inwas thinking of fabbing a small junction bod at either end to house the switch and diode. Does the diode need to be close to the light or anywhere in the line? Might stick it close to the relay then stick a small mini fuse it the end closest to the light.

Will surely get pics upwhen im done.

Rusty

Hopefully the attachment works.

Bods please correcr me if i have made any mistakes on the drawing

Attachments

• 20130331_104408.jpg
    20130331_104408.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 54
I did a quick redraw of your picture anyway. I will post it up soon. I was hoping to have the switchs for the lights as close to them as possible. Inwas thinking of fabbing a small junction bod at either end to house the switch and diode. Does the diode need to be close to the light or anywhere in the line? Might stick it close to the relay then stick a small mini fuse it the end closest to the light.

Will surely get pics upwhen im done.

Rusty

nah, you can stick the diodes wherever you want, as long as they are on those feeds, just make sure you have one on each line otherwise 1 switch will turn both lights on, lol.

if you didn't want to use diodes you could do it with relays instead, but diodes are cheaper and easier to set up i think. that junction box idea sounds good, unless you can get a fully waterproof inline switch that you can use instead, i can't say i've looked into what is available for set ups like that. good luck

You can buy ip67 rated switches. I was gonna put one at each side for each light. Still fiddling with the light setup on the roof but the solar panel is pretty much set in its spot

Hopefully the attachment works.

Bods please correcr me if i have made any mistakes on the drawing

looks good to me. as far as fuses go, i'd probably stick 1 fuse off pin 87 and 1 off pin 87a at the relay and that will cover you for both lights, if you want to fuse each light separately, just do it as close to the relay as possible, that way if anything does happen there's not much wire to damage before the fuse pops.

here's the thread with the reverse light wire. i can't remember what colour mine was, but i just looked at the position of the wire in the plug and tested that with a multimeter (test light would work too) with the ignition on and putting in into and out of reverse. that would be the easiest way without going outside the cabin

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=16939&highlight=reverse+wire

looks good to me. as far as fuses go, i'd probably stick 1 fuse off pin 87 and 1 off pin 87a at the relay and that will cover you for both lights, if you want to fuse each light separately, just do it as close to the relay as possible, that way if anything does happen there's not much wire to damage before the fuse pops.

Good point. I will update the drawing. I'm thinking a 2 or 5amp fuse one each on 87 and 87a with 87 containing 2 diodes close to the fuse and relay.
b

Updated. Ignore my shopping list. I also have to do a pootrol with reverse light

Attachments

• 20130331_111803.jpg
    20130331_111803.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back