Legal to drive around without a bumper bar?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I was 4wd'ing on the weekend and STUFFED my bumper bar... as a result have taken it off to see if I can fix it and fit up a bull bar...

Anyway - will having the bumper bar off cause me any dramas with the law, or you reckon I would be alright? I am in Melbourne.

Cheers

Technically they could sting you for not having a bar, (I have heard of such silliness) but chances are they wont especially if you don't give them a reason too.

Yeah, technically the vehicle is unroadworthy - because it will not meet the relevant ADR's. Whether or not you get stung - depends on a lot of things, including the mood that the transport inspector or policeman is in....

About 3 years ago, in my VT I got rear ended by a cop car, and my bumper was hanging off. I pulled it off, put it in the back and went on my way (after exchanging insurance details). I made it about 5 or 6 k's down the road when another cop pulled me up to say I can't drive without a rear bumper. Anyway, after letting him know it was cop who ran into me, he said I could drive it home as is.

Hey guys. So I was 4wd'ing on the weekend and STUFFED my bumper bar... as a result have taken it off to see if I can fix it and fit up a bull bar...

Anyway - will having the bumper bar off cause me any dramas with the law, or you reckon I would be alright? I am in Melbourne.

Cheers

May well do. bumpers are part of the safety equipment of the car. Bigger issue if it is the front than the rear because of pedestrian safety, all those sticky-out bits. So long as you are not being a dick, and the damage looks recent, you should be right with most cops. But I am told they are pretty savage in Vic so I would order what you need to fix it and if you get spoken to smile be polite and let them know you are just waiting on the parts. Then smile some more,

Latest posts

Back