Legalities in NSW and NT

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shero82

Reaction score
hi all

i'm looking into doing a few mods on a recently acquired D40 STX King Cab and i'm unsure of what is legal in different states.

my main concerns are with tyre sizes and lift kits - both body lift and suspension. i'm in NSW at the moment but will be moving to NT at the end of the year. money is kind of tight at the moment too so extreme mods requiring engineer certs is not really an option.

my other query - and this may sound a little stupid if you know - is if you have a car that is registered and legal in one state, say NSW, and you where to drive it through another state where it was illegal, say QLD, could you get into the shit for it there?

any help would be much appreciated
:cheers!:
shero

There are limits. 20mm increase in tyre size, 50mm increase in height - both adopted by most states, these limits are specified in the Australian vehicle regs. Extended shackles (a common thing to lift the vehicle) are illegal everywhere.

I'm not sure on the body lift issue, but if you do any lifting, make sure you get new brake lines and watch the handbrake cable. At full extension you don't want to be ripping these things from their mounts.

Hey, I up in Darwin. I'm pretty sure if you are under 100 above standard height you are pretty ok. Check out darwin4x4.net . Its a pretty good forum, and alot of the fellas have been talking about getting their cars legal for rego.
I know I had a patrol ute with 2" lift and 33" tyres. I had no dramas with rego.
When you get up here they put you over the pits, you should have no dramas with a new truck, just make sure all your lights are working etc.
Cheers Mickey

nice one mickkk, just checked out the darwin4x4 site there. another wealth of information there,
thanks

Latest posts

Back